Dear Colleagues

We are pleased to announce the publication of our new paper: Boyd C, Punt AE.
2021. Shifting trends: Detecting changes in cetacean population dynamics in
shifting habitat. PLoS ONE 16(5): e0251522.
https://doi.org/10.1371/journal.pone.0251522

Abstract: The ability to monitor population dynamics and detect major changes
in population trend is essential for wildlife conservation and management.
However, this is often challenging for cetaceans as surveys typically cover
only a portion of a population’s range and conventional stock assessment
methods cannot then distinguish whether apparent changes in abundance reflect
real changes in population size or shifts in distribution. We developed and
tested methods for estimating population size and trend and detecting changes
in population trend in the context of shifting habitat by integrating
additional data into distance-sampling analysis. Previous research has shown
that incorporating habitat information can improve population size estimates
for highly mobile species with dynamic spatial distributions. Here, using
simulated datasets representative of a large whale population, we demonstrate
that incorporating individual mark-recapture data can increase the accuracy and
precision of trend estimation and the power to distinguish whether apparent
changes in abundance reflect changes in population trend or distribution
shifts. We recommend that similar simulation studies are conducted for specific
cetacean populations to assess the potential for detecting changes in
population dynamics given available data. This approach is especially important
wherever population change may be confounded with long-term change in
distribution patterns associated with regime shifts or climate change.

Charlotte Boyd PhD (she/her)
boydc...@u.washington.edu<mailto:boydc...@u.washington.edu>