Dear MARMAM-members,

we have an exciting opportunity coming up for (student) volunteers/interns this
summer. We will be conducting a behavior study on the beautiful island Fyn in
Denmark where we will observe harbor porpoises around gillnets and modified
gillnets. The goal is to find out how they react to acoustically visible
gillnets compared to standard nets and whether our modification have the
potential to reduce bycatch of porpoises as they avoid the nets.
The experiment will take place from 20/06/2021 - 31/08/2021.
Duties and learning opportunities comprise:
- observing porpoises from a cliff using a theodolite
- observing porpoises from the boat
- setting/hauling of gillnets
- setting/hauling of acoustic equipment such as CPODs and SoundTraps
- data retrieval and first analysis from the above mentioned equipment

Room and board (and hopefully lots of beautiful and memorable porpoise
moments!) will be provided, unfortunately there is no monetary compensation.
You will be sharing a room with another volunteer.
We do our best to provide a relaxed and fun working atmosphere and expect that
our volunteers are also motivated to contribute to a pleasent experience for
everybody.

Please include a short motivation letter, the period during which you would
like to participate and one thing that you would like to learn during your stay.

Looking forward to hearing from you - if you have any questions please feel
free to send an email.
Kind regards,

Isabella

More information on the project:
https://www.thuenen.de/en/of/projects/fisheries-and-survey-technology/using-acoustically-visible-gillnets-to-reduce-bycatch-of-harbor-porpoises/

Some video footage from 2018:
https://vimeo.com/318714410

Everything you ever wanted to know about pearls:
https://vimeo.com/332618067

Disclaimer: everything is of course dependent on the current COVID-19 situation
which may change very suddenly. Right now, we are very hopeful that everything
will go smoothly, but the past months have shown us all that sudden changes are
always possible.

--
Isabella Kratzer
Thünen-Institut für Ostseefischerei/Thünen Institute of Baltic Sea Fisheries

Tel.: +49 (0)381 66099-147
Fax: +49 381 8116 199
Mail: isabella.krat...@thuenen.de
Web: www.thuenen.de/of/

Das Johann Heinrich von Thünen-Institut, Bundesforschungsinstitut für
Ländliche Räume, Wald und Fischerei – kurz: Thünen-Institut – besteht
aus 14 Fachinstituten, die in den Bereichen Ökonomie, Ökologie und
Technologie forschen und die Politik beraten.

The Johann Heinrich von Thünen Institute, Federal Research Institute for
Rural Areas, Forestry and Fisheries – Thünen Institute in brief – consists
of 14 specialized institutes that carry out research and provide policy advice
in the fields of economy, ecology and technology.