Greetings MARMAM!

Join us on 17 August 2023 at 7 am PDT / 10 am EDT / 2 pm GMT for the next SMM
Editors’ Select Series Webinar: How to weigh a sperm whale using drone images?
with Maria Glarou

This event is free to attend and presented online via Zoom, but registration is
required.
Register here:
https://us06web.zoom.us/webinar/register/WN_DY270A_iTF6pBeoUavFcCQ
<https://us06web.zoom.us/webinar/register/WN_DY270A_iTF6pBeoUavFcCQ>
Space on Zoom is limited to the first 500 attendees. The talk will also be
streamed live on the SMM Facebook page.

About this talk:
Body mass is a fundamental characteristic of animals. Although sperm whales
(Physeter macrocephalus) are the largest toothed predators on earth, body mass
is seldom included in studies of their ecology and physiology due to the
inherent difficulties of obtaining direct measurements. We used drone images to
estimate the weight of free-ranging sperm whales. We collected aerial images of
102 sperm whales (of all reproductive classes) in the Eastern Caribbean and
Mediterranean Sea during 2017–2020. First, we obtained body length, width, and
height (at 5% increments) measurements from dorsal and lateral drone images.
Based on these measurements, we then created an elliptical 3D body shape model
to calculate the body volume of the animals. We used 4 different approaches to
convert volume to mass: tissue-density estimates from catch data, animal-borne
tags, and body-tissue composition. Our results showed that the average total
body density ranged from 834 to 1,003 kg/m3, while the weight predictions
matched with existing measurements and weight-length relationships described in
previous research. Our body-mass models can be used to study sperm whale
bioenergetics, including inter- and intra-seasonal variations in body
condition, somatic growth, metabolic rates, and cost of reproduction.

About the presenter:
Maria Glarou is originally from Greece. She holds a BSc degree in Biology from
the University of Patras (Greece), and is a MSc graduate from Stockholm
University (Sweden) with a degree in Marine Biology. Her main research
interests revolve around cetacean bioenergetics, ecology and ecophysiology, as
well as the impacts of human disturbance on cetaceans. For her MSc project, she
conducted a pilot study in the Eastern Mediterranean Sea, exploring small-scale
fisheries interactions with small marine mammals. She is currently a PhD fellow
at the University of Iceland’s Research Center in Húsavík, where she studies
the allometry of physiological and behavioural thermoregulatory adaptations of
different-sized cetaceans in Skjálfandi Bay, NE-Iceland.

Open access to this article is made temporarily available in the weeks around
the presentation and can be found here:
https://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/10.1111/mms.12982
<https://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/10.1111/mms.12982>
Current SMM members have access to all Marine Mammal Science papers.

Missed a presentation or want to share this series with a friend? All previous
Editors’ Select Series presentations are recorded and archived on our YouTube
channel here:
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLUc78IynQlubS2DVS1VZoplf_t42-yZOO
<https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLUc78IynQlubS2DVS1VZoplf_t42-yZOO>

Thank you!

--
Ayça Eleman, Ph.D. Candidate
Theresa-Anne Tatom-Naecker, Ph.D. Candidate