Dear colleagues

We are pleased to announce some new publications on early mysticetes.

1, Tsai, CH, Goedert, JL, and Boessenecker, RW. 2024. The oldest mysticete
in the Northern Hemisphere. Current Biology 34, 1-7.

Abstract

Extant baleen whales (Mysticeti) uniquely use keratinous baleen for
filter-feeding and lack dentition, but the fossil record clearly shows that
“toothed” baleen whales first appeared in the Late Eocene. Globally, only
two Eocene mysticetes have been found, and both are from the Southern
Hemisphere: *Mystacodon selenensis* from Peru, 36.4 mega-annum (Ma)
ago and *Llanocetus
denticrenatus* from Antarctica, 34.2 Ma ago. Based on a partial skull from
the lower part of the Lincoln Creek Formation in Washington State, USA, we
describe the Northern Hemisphere’s geochronologically earliest
mysticete, *Fucaia
humilis* sp. nov. Geology, biostratigraphy, and magnetostratigraphy places
Fucaia humilis sp. nov. in the latest Eocene (ca. 34.5 Ma ago, near the
Eocene/Oligocene transition at 33.9 Ma ago), approximately coeval with the
oldest record of fossil kelps, also in the northeastern Pacific. This
observation leads to our hypothesis that the origin and development of a
relatively stable, nutrient-rich kelp ecosystem in the latest Eocene may
have fostered the radiation of small-sized toothed mysticetes (Family
Aetiocetidae) in the North Pacific basin, a stark contrast to the larger
Llanocetidae (whether *Mystacodon* belongs to llanocetids or another
independent clade remains unresolved) with the latest Eocene onset of the
Antarctic Circumpolar Current in the Southern Hemisphere. Our discovery
suggests that disparate mechanisms and ecological scenarios may have
nurtured contrasting early mysticete evolutionary histories in the Northern
and Southern hemispheres.

Open-access:
https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S0960982224003087

2, Tsai, CH, Kimura T, and Hasegawa, Y. 2024. Coexistence of Oligocene
toothed and baleen-assisted mysticetes in the northwestern Pacific. Fossil
Record 27, 95-100.

Abstract

Oligocene mysticetes display an unparalleled diversity and morphological
disparity in the evolutionary history of Mysticeti. However, their
paleoecological aspects, such as the patterns of coexistence of different
morphotypes, remain poorly explored. Here we describe an aetiocetid
(toothed mysticete) from the Jinnobaru Formation (lower upper Oligocene,
about 28 million years ago) of Umashima Island, Kitakyushu, Japan. Our
description of a toothed mysticete from the Oligocene of Umashima
exemplifies the coexistence of toothed and baleen-assisted mysticetes in
the northwestern Pacific. Hopefully, new finds of Oligocene mysticetes will
lead to a well-sampled dataset for analyzing this and other related
paleoecological traits to understand the demise of “archaic” Oligocene
mysticetes and the subsequent rise of the modern-looking baleen-bearing
whales in Miocene times.

Open-access:
https://fr.pensoft.net/article/111567/

3, Hernández-Cisneros, AE, Schwennicke, T, Rochín-Bañaga, H, and Tsai, CH.
2023. *Echericetus novellus* n. gen. n. sp. (Cetacea, Mysticeti,
Eomysticetidae), an Oligocene baleen whale from Baja California Sur,
Mexico. Journal of Paleontology 97, 1309-1328.

Abstract

Among the several evolutionary lineages of the baleen whales (Mysticeti),
the eomysticetids are an ancient successful family that retain possibly
nonfunctional teeth and functional baleen, a transitional stage between
toothed and baleen-assisted filter-feeding mysticetes. The patchy fossil
record leaves gaps in eomysticetid paleobiology interpretations, but their
diversity and widespread geographical distribution can be a relevant proxy
to understanding the evolution of crown Mysticeti. Here we describe a new
baleen whale, *Echericetus novellus* n. gen. n. sp., from the Oligocene of
Mexico (slightly older than 27.95 million years ago). This new taxon has
morphological features that show its affinity to Eomysticetidae, such as
the intertemporal region longer than wide, the elongate and oval temporal
fossa, and a well-developed and lobate coronoid process of the mandible.
Similarly, our cladistic analyses confirm the inclusion of *Echericetus* in
the Eomysticetidae. *Echericetus* reinforces our notion of the eomysticetid
diversity and disparity. Geographically, the existence of *Echericetus*
from Mexico also indicates that eomysticetid inhabited subtropical regions
in the Northern Hemisphere. Last, our discovery of a new eomysticetid from
the Oligocene of Mexico provides new insights into the distribution
patterns and habitat use of Eomysticetidae, essential to further explain
the demise of this transitional lineage between toothed and baleen-bearing
whales.

Open-access:
https://www.cambridge.org/core/journals/journal-of-paleontology/article/echericetus-novellus-n-gen-n-sp-cetacea-mysticeti-eomysticetidae-an-oligocene-baleen-whale-from-baja-california-sur-mexico/8A2836F00C3862A4D792378F85759DD4

Alternatively, please feel free to email me for pdf copies or further
discussion:

whalet...@ntu.edu.tw or crani...@gmail.com

Cheers,
Tsai

蔡政修(Cheng-Hsiu Tsai  さい まさのぶ) PhD
Associate Professor
R508, Lab of evolution and diversity of fossil vertebrates(古脊椎動物演化及多樣性實驗室)
Department of Life Science & Institute of Ecology and Evolutionary Biology
(生命科學系&生態學與演化生物學研究所)
National Taiwan University(台灣大學)
No. 1, Sec. 4, Roosevelt Rd., Taipei, 106-17, Taiwan(台灣 106-17 台北市羅斯福路 4 段
1 號)
Email: whalet...@ntu.edu.tw; crani...@gmail.com; Tel: 886 - 2 - 3366 - 2448
Twitter: TSAI_NTU508 <https://twitter.com/TSAI_NTU508>; FB: 蔡政修 CH Tsai
<https://www.facebook.com/NTUWhaleTsai>; Google Scholar: TSAI, Cheng-Hsiu