Dear colleagues,

On behalf of my co-authors, I am pleased to share with you our new, open
access, publication in Marine Environmental Research:

Blázquez, M., Whooley, P., Massett, N., Keogh, H., O'Brien, J. M., Wenzel, F.
W., O'Connor, I., and Berrow, S. D. (2024). Distribution models of baleen whale
species in the Irish Exclusive Economic Zone to inform management and
conservation. Marine Environmental Research, 106569. DOI:
https://doi.org/10.1016/j.marenvres.2024.106569

Abstract:
Irish waters are under increasing pressure from anthropogenic sources including
the development of offshore renewable energy, vessel traffic and fishing
activity. Spatial planning requires robust datasets on species distribution and
the identification of important habitats to inform the planning process.
Despite limited survey effort, long-term citizen science data on whale presence
are available and provide an opportunity to fill information gaps. Using
presence-only data as well as a variety of environmental variables, we
constructed seasonal ensemble species distribution models based on five
different algorithms for minke whales, fin whales, humpback whales, sei whales,
and blue whales. The models predicted that the coastal waters off the south and
west of Ireland are particularly suitable for minke, fin and humpback whales.
Offshore waters in the Porcupine Seabight area were identified as a relevant
habitat for fin whales, sei whales and blue whales. We combined model outputs
with data on maritime traffic, fishing activity and offshore wind farms to
measure the exposure of all the species to these pressures, identifying areas
of concern. This study serves as a baseline for the species presence in Irish
waters over the last two decades to help develop appropriate marine spatial
plans in the future.

Please, do not hesitate to get in touch if you have any question.

Very kind regards,

Miguel Blázquez Hervás

PhD candidate
Marine and Freshwater Research Centre
Atlantic Technological University
Galway, Ireland
Miguel Blázquez Hervás - ATU Marine and Freshwater Research Centre
(mfrc-atu.ie)<https://mfrc-atu.ie/meet-the-team/miguel-blazquez-hervas/>

Funded under a Goverment of Ireland Postgraduate Scholarship

Tá an ríomhphost seo faoi réir an tséanta seo leanas atá le fáil ag Séanadh
Ríomhphost Ollscoil Teicneolaíochta an
Atlantaigh<https://www.atu.ie/email-disclaimer>
This e-mail is subject to the following disclaimer available at Atlantic TU
Email Disclaimer<https://www.atu.ie/email-disclaimer>