Dear MarMamers
We would like to share our new open-access publication titled "Respiratory
reference values for bottlenose dolphins (Tursiops spp.) and its importance for
conservation" where we define baseline lung function variables in bottlenose
dolphins and how these may be useful for conservation efforts on cetaceans.
The article is open access and can be found at the link below.
Sincerely,
Andreas

Title: Respiratory reference values for bottlenose dolphins (Tursiops spp.) and
its importance for conservation
Authors: Cauture, F.,  Sweeney, J., Stone, R., Fahlman, A.
Journal: Marine Mammal Science:
doi: http://doi.org/10.1111/mms.13151
Abstract: Respiratory disease is one of the main causes for morbidity and
mortality in cetaceans, which highlights the importance of understanding normal
lung function and how it may impede homeostasis, and diving capacity. In
addition, the use of breathing frequency as a proxy for metabolic rate requires
a better estimate of the normal range of tidal volume, respiratory flow, and
breath durations. In the current study, we use data on clinically healthy
bottlenose dolphins (Tursiops spp.) collected over a decade to define how lung
function varies with body mass, age, and sex while in water or during voluntary
beaching. The data show that tidal volume consistently varies with body mass
both during spontaneous and forced breaths both in water and while beached.
Both peak expiratory and inspiratory flow varies with body mass, but also in
some circumstances with sex and age. Total and inspiratory breath durations
only varied with body mass during forced breaths on land. Expired tidal volume
varied with both body mass and either total or expiratory breath duration.
These data provide baseline for respiratory function in healthy bottlenose
dolphins and suggest that either total or expiratory breath duration provide a
useful proxy for tidal volume.