Dave wrote:
> Trotskyists defend workers states unconditionally
> because it is necesssary to bloc with the Stalinists militarily to
> defend workers property.

This question of Trotskyists supporting the 'Worker's states' in
Eastern Europe and the Far East (plus Cuba) is still annoying me.

I now understand why it is being argued now I know that it is a
reference to those known as 'Spartasists'- who in Britain were
virtually non-existent until recently (and even now are
inconsequental especially outside London). Some Trotskyist group in
Britain would in theory support worker's states but few, I have met,
believe there have been any since the 1920s (perhaps only Real
Worker's States are those run by Trotskyists).

I know virtually nothing about Trotskyism but it would be interesting
to know how popular Soviet-supporting Trotskyist are in other
countries, or are they just over represented on this list? Or is it
Britain that is the exception.

A more dangerous enquiry is that because of my ignorance of
Trotskyism and it numerous proliferations and divisions make
understanding some of the debates on this list very difficult. Is
there any source which would give me a FAIR brief history of the
various group and party acroynms and what the major differnces are.
In effect a family-tree of Trotskii's political descendents. But
preferably NOT a history from one side or the other - brief enough to
be unbiast.

Thanks,

John Walker