Andy,

I just came across the below. Interjections
below.

Another dialectical concept is sublation
or supersecession or to preserve and
overcome ( a contradiction ). Marx, Engels
and Lenin use this from Hegel too. It
occurs as a variation of some of the
more elementary concepts of dialectics.

I will get to it in the text below, but I
would say there is a paradox or
irony in Marx and Engels career
of philosophical publishing. You see
I think in Hegel's heyday, for Young
Hegelians and all philosophers in
Germany , it was unthinkable that
Hegel would fall into such
oblivion as he did. So, Marx and
Engels got off in their start with
a big emphasis on fighting too
much philosophizing (The German
Ideology, etc.). When Marx looked
up at the time of the Afterword to
the Second German edition of
Capital he had sort of realized
some of what I am getting at here.
The bottom line for the moment is
that Marx didn't feel the need to
write out elementary dialectics
because Hegel already had.
Marx's dialectic is not just
"different than Hegel's but
it's direct opposite". It's the
whole Hegel flipped around
with the center pulled out and
used. Being the direct opposite
in a dialectical conception is
closer than being different.
It is an indication of relation
or dialectical opposition between
the two.

Interjections below.

On Wed, 16 Dec 1998, Charles Brown wrote:

>The generalization, or transhistorical category of class struggle doesn't
>mean it is historically universal. Struggle or contradiction or unity and
>struggle of opposites is the more general category which would apply to
>all human history.

Okay, so you say you do not think that class struggle is a universal
category.
______

Charles: Class struggle is not universal
in human history. We all agree on that,
don't we ? The first sentence of the
Manifesto, modern anthropology and
archeology, the old stone age , the
new stone age, most of human
history was not a class society.
Classes arose about 7,000 years ago.
The Origin of the Family, Private,
Property and the State.
____________

But isn't it your position is that the universal dialectic
manifests in concrete reality, of which class struggle is one example?
_____

Charles: Universal dialectic is like universal
non-universal. I guess you should think
of how change means difference. If the
dialectic is universal , that means change
or becoming different is universal. But
difference is the opposite of universal.
Universal means the same everywhere.
A universal dialect means difference
everywhere.

>But CLASS struggle arises with classes.

So the dialectic of class struggle in history is a process that inheres in
the social system itself, and is not the manifestation of a universal
dialectic? This seems at odds with the position of the universal
dialectic.
______

Charles: The class struggle is a particular
change going on. It is not the same
as all changes everywhere. It is like
them in that it is a changing.

>I treat [class struggle] as a limited generalization just like the first
>sentence.

So now you are arguing that the dialectic does not really exist outside of
some social dynamics (such as class struggle)? Are you abandoning you
previous position?
__________

Charles: The dialectic exists in social
dynamics and in physical dynamics.
My position is (ironically) not
changing in this thread. You are
thinking wishfully when you say that
or refer to back peddling. You wish.
_________

>Charles: You asserted that, but you didn't demonstrate it. Natural
>selection is dialectical. The struggle for existence involves the
>unity and struggle of opposites.

Explain this, please. How does the process of random variation and natural
selection in populations involve the "unity and contradiction of
opposites"?
________

Charles: I responded to this before. Since
this comment this discussion has
extended. I would recommend Levins
and Lewontin's _The Dialectical Biologist_
And I have posted the quote from
Stepehn Jay Gould quoting Engels
on species evolution as cooperation
and struggle, or unity and struggle.
However, I would reiterate the
model I gave before. The species
unit does change as a unity and
struggle of opposites, as the
genotypical range is both a
unity ,as they are all exclusively
fertile (definition of a species) and
a struggle as some will be selected
against that is not pass on
their genes to a viable next
generation.

>Charles: The dialectic of human history is not the same dialectic as that
>of natural history. Darwin's theory is not fully dialectical, but it is
>dialectical relative to creationism and the prevailing theories of nature
>of his day.

So now you are saying that whereas natural selection involves the unity
and contradiction of opposites - one of the three laws of dialectics -
class struggle does not involve the unity and contradiction of opposites?
_______

Charles: Andy, you try your best NOT
to understand everything. I think
that's the unversal negation of the
negation operating in your thought.

Both class struggle and
struggle for existence involve
the unity and struggle of
opposites. They are different
complexes of contradictions.
______

If they are not the same dialectic then what is different about them?
_______

Charles: The class struggle is a Lamarckian
dialectic. Natural selection is not.

Interestingly, I reread the section of
the Afterword to the Second German
Edition of Capital where the Russian
reviewer comments. The amazing thing
that has been revived in my mind is
that Marx considers himself to be
literally doing natural history in
writing Capital. We are all familiar,
in part because of the fancy Marxists
and post modernists, that Marx emphasized
that capitalism is not the eternal or
"natural" form of production. It is
historically specific, as the Russian
sketches. But just because Marx
doesn't think capitalism is the
permanent natural form of
political economy doesn't mean
he doesn't think it derives through
natural processes. Marx considers
human history to be a dialectical
continuation or sublation of
natural history.  Human history
preserves and overcomes natural
history. It is Marx's materialism that
he starts with the preservation or
the continuity between natural
and human history (See The
German Ideology).

Is
it because the dialectic is universal that it can be anything?
_________

Charles: Any and everything changes. Nothing
stays the same. A rock is such an easy example,
I am surprised you ask. A rock dissolves
in friction (contradiction) when a river
runs over it. A rock is not stable. It is
teeming mountain of molecules and
atoms all constantly moving. Literally,
with positive and negative elements
struggling with each other in
the structure of the atoms.
_________

What do you mean when you say it is dialectical relative to creationism?
Do you mean that it subsumes religion within its logic and rises to a new
synthesis?
________

Charles: Creationism posits a single
act of creation,with no changes in
the species since. It is a fixed, eternally
unchanging system. Darwin makes
a fundamental dialectical change in
this by saying new forms arise out
of the old.

What does it mean to say something is not fully dialectical? Does that
mean that it only meets one or two of the three laws of dialectics, such
as unity and contradiction of opposites, but does not meet one or both of
the other two criteria (quantity into quality and the negation of the
negation)?
______

Charles: Lenin in _The Teachings
of Karl Marx speaks directly to this
issue. He points out that Marx's
theory of  evolution has more
to it than the "current" theory,
meaning Darwin's. Darwin's has
gradual change ,which is part of
Hegel's. Gradual change is more
dialectical than creationism with
no change. Revolution/evolution
is even more Hegelian. So in
a way Darwin's lacks the idea that
new quality arises from quantitative
leaps or discontinuities.

>Darwin's theory changed naturalism radically in a dialectical direction
>by it being evolutionary. Evolutionism is more dialectical than statics
>or whatever.

Lamarck had a theory of evolution. Was Lamarck's theory dialectical?
(Actually, Lamarck's theory is more dialectical than Darwin's theory,
since Lamarck sees forms incorporating change into the organism and rising
to new levels of synthesis with each successive generation, what Hegel
calls "sublation" or Aufhebung.)

What is so special about the dialectic if it is evolutionary theory? What
makes it a special theory of evolution?
_______

Charles: Darwin's evolutionary theory,
especially supplemented by Stephen
Jay Gould's punctuated equilibrium,
is an example of dialectics in an important
science.
_______

>But Stephen Jay Gould's punctuated equilibrium adds revolutionary leaps
>to Darwin's gradual evolutionism, thereby rendering it even more
>dialectica.

Perhaps. But we weren't talking about Stephen Jay Gould.
_______

Charles: I have been talking
about him. Anyway, so what if
we have not been talking
about him. We are talking about
him now that I brought him up.

More later, gotta see what
you wrote today.

Charles Brown

Revolutionism is the apotheosis of change.