>>> Andrew Wayne Austin <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> 12/23 2:54 AM >>>
. . . need to correct some mistatements of fact . . .

On Tue, 22 Dec 1998, Charles Brown wrote:

>I thought the examples that James F. gave in natural history and biology
>fit the Engels model. . . . I welcome this as affirmation of Engels's
>position . . . .

I have long argued that aspects of evolutionary theory and evolutionary
process may be described as dialectical and I was open-minded about this
matter. What I dispute is Engels argument that the dialectic is the
general laws of development in nature, society, and thought. I have never
a priori rejected the possibility of any form of change being dialectic.
What I have rejected is the view that all change is a priori dialectical.
________

Charles: So your position is that we just
have to wait and see as each type of change
comes up as to whether it is dialectical ?
Has any type of change been discovered
yet that was not dialectical as you understand
Marx to mean dialectical ? What is it ?

_______
Below, Charles contradicts himself. First, he says that

>However, Darwinism is also classically Marxistly dialectical . . . as
>described by Lenin in _The Teachings of Karl Marx_ especially with
>respect to Stephen Jay Gould's punctuated equilibrium, in which, I
>believe the punctuations are major extinctions in the history of life.

But then he writes that

>the point is that catastrophes, revolutions, leaps within slower change
>or evolution renders this fundamental theory of natural history more
>dialectical in the Hegelian sense than it was in the Darwinian form.

In this argument we find that Darwin's theory is said to be dialectical in
the classically Marxist sense.
_________

Charles: The answer to your riddle,
Andy,my boy, is that I used Darwinism
the first time to include Stephen Jay
Gouldism as part of Darwinism. And the
second time I used Darwinism, I should
have said original Darwinism not modified
by Gould's theory. This was an equivocation
of my use of the word "Darwinism."
But the point is consistent for anyone
trying to understand.
_____

And the example given is Gould's theory of
punctuated equilibrium. But then in the next sentence we find that whereas
Gould's theory is dialectic, it is more dialectical in the Hegelian sense
than in the Darwinian form. The problem is that revolutions, qualitative
leaps, and so forth, are Marxian dialectical (and the form is Hegelian).
But this is different, Charles says, than the Darwinian form. So, the
conclusion is this: Darwinian evolution is not dialectical. I agree.
________

Charles: The conclusion one more
time, is that Darwinism is more dialectical
than the theories of biology which
prevailed when he wrote his famous
thesis, creationism etc. But Darwinism
was not fully dialectical in the Hegelian
sense.

You mentioned that evolutionism had
been around for a thousand years
and Darwin's father was an evolutionist.
But if you look in any biology basic
textbook , which will have a sketch
of Darwin's biography, you will find
that Christian creationism was the
prevailing theory of Darwin's day
AND THAT CHARLES DARWIN
HIMSELF WAS A CREATIONIST
UPON STARTING THE VOYAGE
OF THE BEAGLE. The 101 text
I just read says that Darwin was
going out to find data to uphold
creationism over a recent geological
theory that held the earth's
geology had evolved.

The point here is that relative
to his day, Darwin's theory was
none other than a LEAP, a
revolution, a qualitative change,
from a metaphysical or anti-dialectical
conception of natural species, to
an elementarily , though not fully
dialectical conception.

>Marx and Engels considered that he [Darwin] was using their method in
>biology.

Where does Marx ever say that Darwinian evolution is an application of
Marx's dialectical method?
________

Charles: In his book _Ever Since Darwin_
in the essay "Darwin Delay" , Stephen
Jay Gould says the following:

"In 1869, Marx wrote to Engels about
Darwin's _Origin_"

  (Get this Andy, this is Marx speaking)

 "ALTHOUGH IT IS DEVELOPED IN THE
CRUDE ENGLISH STYLE, THIS IS THE
BOOK WHICH CONTAINS THE BASIS
IN NATURAL HISTORY FOR OUR
VIEW"

>This seems to be evidence that Gould endorses Engels use of the dialectic
>in natural history. He seems to find use for the three principles that
>Andy mentioned a number of times.

All these quotes by Gould don't prove or even support Engels' claim that
dialectics are general law in nature, society, and thought. What is the
point of quoting Gould?
__________

Charles: Andy, I am starting to
think that you are incorrigible.
These quotes from Stephen Jay
Gould blow your argument
out of the water. First of all you
haven't denied that Marx and
Engels said what Gould says they
do. Second, Gould is the perfect
one for this discussion because
he is a recognized expert in
paleontology or natural history.
He is not a philosopher or
social scientist. He has basic
data knowledge about change
outside of human history, in
a discipline of natural history. This
is exactly what we are arguing
about. And he says Engels conception
of dialectics is very helpful to
him in his natural history science.

I generally agree with Gould. I have never said
that the "three laws of dialectics" have no application. They are
heuristics that have their value, as Gould has argued. What I reject is
that they are the general laws of development of nature, society, and
thought.
______

Charles: Yes, you keep saying that.
But  now we find a major natural
scientist says they are important
in understanding natural history.
_______

C. Brown seems to think that because I reject the view that the universe -
the natural, social, and cognitive - operates according to a dialectic
that somehow I have rejected dialectics, and the notions of quantity into
quality, interpenetration of divergent elements, or the negation of the
negation. I have used the concepts in my work. I have said Marx uses the
concepts in his work.
_________

Charles: Sounds like back pedalling to me.

_________

>My understanding is that Andy is saying that Engels's position is
>idealist. This is what James F. implies after Colletti that Engels
>smuggles the Hegelian dialectical god back in to his analysis. This is a
>switch from usual. Usually Engels is accused of being a vulgar
>materialist. I suppose this is one of those things where you have twins:
>idealist and vulgar materialist.

Vulgar materialism is a form of idealism. Realist have pointed out that
some forms of materialism commit the fallacy of misplaced concreteness
by seeing the structure of the world as only matter in motion, whereas the
structure of the world is relational. Positivism is also confused with a
realist position, when in fact it is idealism. Marx's materialism was a
realist position that stood contrary to positivism. This is contrast
to Engels' work. Engels took an a priori rigid dialectic and applied it as
a positivist model to the world. That is vulgar. And it is idealist.
________

Charles: This is a good statement, except the
ridiculous anti-Engelsism is continues.
Engels' dialectic was much more relativist
and flexible than yours. See Lenin
in _Materialism and Empirio-Criticism_
on Engels and the dialectic
of relative and absolute truth.
Your term "rigid dialectic" shows you don't
really understand dialectic.
_

On Tue, 22 Dec 1998, Charles Brown wrote:

>>"In 1869, Marx wrote to Engels about
>>Darwin's _Origin'_:
>>'Although it is developed in the crude
>>English style, this is the book which contains
>>the basis in natural history for our view.'

Yes, this is true. Read in the German Ideology where Marx and Engels
stress the importance of understanding the physical substratum, and how
they assume this in their work. They never sought to figure this part out
because they were concerned with developing their science of history,
which, as they stated, is the only science they know. Darwin came along
and provided the best explanation for the development of the species at a
biological level. And so, Marx writes, Darwin's theory "contains the basis
in natural history for our view." Precisely. But this does not say that
Darwin uses the Marxian dialectical method in his theory.
__________

Charles:Marx's theory is all of one piece
the materialism with the dialectics. He
doesn't mean Darwin is materialist
and not dialectical. Darwin is using "our"
(Marx AND Engels; you know he
was talking to Engels when he
said "our view") view.

This does not
say Marx believed that Darwin's theory was dialectical. It simply says
that he accepts Darwin's account of the natural history of Man as
constituting the natural historical basis - the physiological and
ecological substrata - for the materialist conception of history.
________

Charles: Marx means Darwin's view
is a form of dialectical materialism.

________

>"A common bit of folklore-that Marx offered to dedicate volume 2 of Das
>Kapital to Darwin (and that Darwin refused)-turns out to be false. But Marx
>and Darwin did correspond, and Marx held Darwin in very high regard."

Sure. If Marx believed that Darwin's theory contained the basis in natural
history for the historical materialist view then it would seem to follow
that Marx held Darwin in high regard.

>More importantly, what Marx and Engels admired about Darwin was his
>materialism, not his gradualism.

More like his naturalism. This dovetails with Marx's earlier writings.
What Marx admired most was Darwin's non-teleological manner of
explanation.

>"The essential difference between human and animal society consists in the
>fact that animals at most *collect* while men *produce*. This sole but
>cardinal difference alone precludes the simple transfer of laws of animal
>societies to human societies."

Engels was no dummy. This is from Marx's earlier writings where Marx
argues that human beings distinguish themselves from animals when they
began to produce their existence.

As for Engels comments below, I remember in first grade having symbiosis
explained to me as "co-operation." As Gould stresses, "struggle" in Darwin
is a metaphor.

On Tue, 22 Dec 1998, Charles Brown commenting on the dialectics of barley
seeds and butterflies:

>I think these are good examples. Not stupid. There is an elementary level
>that may seem truistic but is actually profound.

Andy

Charles Brown