>>> Chris Burford <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> 01/12 4:34 PM >>
Good find.

Yes I agree that looks like a bulls eye, although no doubt still
incredible for the incredulous Andrew.

I just feel his further comments are so evasive as to lack intellectual
integrity, and his approach to scholarship must be called into question
although in a better way than was done on Marxism-and-Sciences. Generally I
have found Andrew irritating in political argument but it has been a great
spur to study. It is important to keep focussed on the list as a whole and
avoid getting frustrated by his inability to accept that the point we are
arguing is reasonable, along with most other people who thought they were
marxist this century. It would be unmarxist however to think that all
arguments can be resolved by logic alone.

I have spent about an hour checking the texts and hope the following is
useful.

The International page reference (for me also on p309 of the Lawrence and
Wishart edition) is on p423-424 of the Penguin edition.

But first the German, in case anyone wishes to suggest that more rigorous
scholarship
would dissolve away this irrational excess on Marx's part. I trust Hugh
will confirm the
accuracy of the translation in the text Charles gives. (Fowkes's addition
of "by a dialectical inversion" appears to be his own and not necessarily a
feature of quantitative changes turning into qualitative ones although
correct in signalling to the reader that of course Hegel's Logik was a work
of dialectics.)

Here is the text as in the German which follows the 4th edition and *in
that* is Chapter 9 - page 327 Dietz Verlag Berlin, 11th edition, Vol 1.

"Hier, wie in der Naturwissenschaft, bewaehrt sich die Richtigkeit des von
Hegel in seiner 'Logik' entdeckten Gesetzes, dass bloss quantitive
Veraenderungen auf einem gewissen Punkt in qualitative Unterschiede
umschlagen."

The scientific comparison between the social sciences and the natural
sciences is irrefutable, and in the context of Hegel's dialectical work.
(Or will Andrew bumptiously suggest that Marx forgot that fact, and that
Andrew's interpretation should in any case be regarded as much more
interesting?

Marx's personal responsibility for the statement is also clear (evidenced
that Engels corrects it in an addition to the footnote in the third edition.)

Marx's footnote reads:

"The molecular theory of modern chemistry first scientifically worked out
by Laurent and Gerhardt rests on no other law."

Engels's Addition in the 3rd Edition:-

"For the explanation of this statement, which is not very clear to
nonchemists, we remark that the author speaks here of the homologous series
of carbon compounds, first so named by C. Gerhardt in 1843, each series of
which has its own general algebraic formula. Thus the series of paraffins:
CnH2n+2, that of the normal alcohols: CnH2n+2O; of the normal fatty acids:
CnH2nO2 and many others. In the above examples, by the simply quantitative
addition of CH2 to the molecular formula, a qualitatively different body is
each time formed. On
the share (overestimated by Marx) of Laurent and Gerhardt in the
determination of this important fact see Kopp, "Entwicklung der Chemie."
Munchen, 1873, pp. 709, 716, and
Schorkmmer, 'The Rise and Development of Organic Chemistry." London, 1879,
p. 54. -- F. E."

Thus Engels slightly corrects the enthusiasm with which Marx endorsed the
research of Laurent and Gerhardt, but of course does not correct the
vindication by Marx of the relevance of this dialectical law from Hegel for
the natural sciences.

Incredible.

Chris Burford

London.

I agree. Ironically, dialectically (!) the
struggle with Andy and others has spurred
me to study these issues more exactly
and extensively than solitary reading.
Of course, this is contradiction
at the root of movement in