Note the following post appeared originally
on the marxistphilosophy list, that is moderated
by Ralph Dumain.

Jim Farmelant
--------------------------------------
Looking at Ralph Dumain's post on Martin Jay and
Galvano della Volpe reminded me that
I had written something on della Volpe
three years ago for Proyect's Marxmail list.
I wrote:
--------------------------

Recently I picked up a copy of Della Volpe's *Logic as a Positive
Science* at a used bookstore.  Among the things that I have
found noteworthy about him is how sparse the literature on
him is in English as compared to other Marxist
writers of comparable stature (i.e. Lukacs, the Frankfurters, Sartre or
Althusser).  From my attempts at doing Web searches on him,
it would seem that most commentary on him is still in Italian.
What little there is in English seems primarily concerned with
his work in esthetics (there does appear
to have some interest in him by film scholars and art critics).  That
raises the question of why this should be the case.  Is this simply
the result of a parochialism that ignores work done in the Latin
countries (in which case why has Gramsci drawn so much
attention over the last thirty years)?  Or is it perhaps
the substance of his message has ben unappealing to
anglophone intellectuals.

His thesis in *Logic as a Positive Science* was basically that
whatever progress has been made in philosophy has come out of
struggles against apriorist idealism and della Volpe provides
in his book several case studies of such
critiques of apriorism including Plato's critique of Parmenides,
Aristotle's critique of Plato, Galileo's critique of scholastic science,
Kant'scritique of Leibniz's rationalism, and the young Marx's critique of
Hegelian idealism.  For della Volpe the thrust of all of these critiques
of
apriorism was a movement towards materialism even though that
movement did not really come to fruition until Marx & Engels.
Della Volpe was also noteworthy for his anti-Hegelian interpretation
of Marxism which put him at odds both with diamat and with much of
Western Marxism (i.e. Gramsci, Lukacs, the Frankfurters, Sartre) which
have to varying degrees emphasized the Hegelian roots of Marxism.
Indeed, della Volpe contended that Hegel in some respects represented
a regression from the achievements of Kant so that the young Marx in his
critique of Hegel was forced to recover some of the ground that had been
lost in the shift from Kantianism to Hegelianism.

Apparently, the key to della Volpe's understanding of the philosophical
bases of Marxism lied in his treatment of the Aristotelian principle of
non-contradiction.  In della Volpe's view, Aristotle in formulating this
law of logic treated it not only as a formalistic principle but also as
an ontological principle as well.  Here, the analysis of the relations
between particulars and universals, between subjects and predicates
is of crucial importance.  Plato in his critique of Parmenides, showed,
that discourse about the world becomes possible once the duality of
Being and Not-Being was replaced by the dichotomy of sameness-otherness
but Plato (in Della Volpe's view failed to push this to its logical
conclusion).  In analyzing the relations between species and general,
Plato developed his famous theory of forms which was bases on his
method of diariesis but this attempted to explain the lower genera in
terms of the higher which required that we tacitly presuppose the lower
genera so that we can discover what the higher ones are in the first
place.
Thus Plato claimed that true knowledge transcended sense perception
but he still required sense perception to apprehend reality in the first
place.
As Della Volpe saw it, Aristotle exposed this contradiction within
Plato's
thinking.  Aristotle as an ontological materialist saw that the substance

of a species cannot be different from the substance of any member of that
species.
>From this he concluded that whatever exists is determinate and
non-contradictory and that to think is to think of some determinate
object.  Therefore, in a materialist ontology, subject and predicate
will always stand in synthesis in every judgement.  The predicate
is thus not induced from the subject nor is the subject deduced
from the predicate - both rationalism and empiricism were
thus in error.

At the same time Aristotle failed to push this critique to its logical
conclusion because he retained Plato's assumption that true
knowledge must be certain and permanent and so necessary
and unchangeable.  Therefore, he retreated from the nominalist
implications of his original insight by dividing the category of
substance into first and second substance so that individual
entities constituted one kind of substance while the genera
and species to which they belong comprise a second substance.
In this way Aristotle continued Plato's belief that the universal
has ontological primacy over individuals and so the empirical
world is subsidiary to a transcendent realm.

These notions continued to dominate Western thought into
the Renaissance when Galileo challenged the assumptions
of scholastic science. Galileo demanded that theories about
the natural world had to be empirically testable, that such theories
must be subjected to the test of experiment and observation.
Furthermore, Galileo outlined the essentials of the logic
of modern science by recognizing that experimental verification
works not by being able to prove a given hypothesis to be true
(which would involve committing the fallacy of affirming the
consequent) but rather by the elimination of its rivals as they are
disconfirmed or refuted experimentally.  Here, Della Volpe advances
an understanding of the logic of scientific verification that is not
unlike the one that Karl Popper presented in his *Logic of Scientific
Discovery*.  However, as far as I can tell, Della Volpe did not rely
upon Popper in developing his analysis but on such writers as
Galileo, Lord Bacon, Claude Bernard, John Dewey, and Friedrich
Engels.  Whereas, Popper was concerned in *The Logic of Scientific
Discovery* was concerned with providing solutions to the demarcation
problem (i.e. rules for distinguishing science from non-science)
and the induction problem, Della Volpe was concerned mainly with
demonstrating that the "moral sciences" follow the same logic as the
natural or positive  sciences, and with showing that Marx had likewise
embraced what Della Volpe called a "moral Galileanism."  Della Volpe
contended that Marx in such writing as his 1857 introduction and
his *Capital* had outlined then applied this moral Galileanism to his
work in political economy.  He argued that Marx demonstrated that:

" . . . there is only one logic, there is only one method, that is
of modern science understood and expounded in the materialist
sense, which has nothing whatever to do with any attempted
positivist or scientist justification of science."

Thus for Della Volpe, Marx had demonstrated the unity of science,
although this defense of the unity of science was different from the
one that the logical positivists later were to give.

For Della Volpe the Galilean logic of science (in both the natural
and moral sciences) was a dialectical one.  And in *Logic as a
Positive Science*, Della Volpe outlined his own conception
of dialectics or to be more specific materialist dialectics.
In this discussion, Della Volpe articulates his rejection of
Hegelian dialectics including the laws of dialectics such
as the law of the negation of the negation, the law of
the unity of opposites and the law of the transformation
of quantity into quality and vice versa.  For Della Volpe all
such formulations were in reality quite undialectical,
"...merely formulas of abstract thought, of a mystified and
therefore 'falsely mobile' and undialectical dialectic."  Rather,
for Della Volpe true dialectical thinking is represented by
the process of scientific inquiry in which proposed scientific
laws are formulated as hypotheses, which are tested against
empirical reality, and then are modified or replaced.  The
self-correcting nature of science was for Della Volpe, the
true embodiment of dialectics, not the abstract speculative
metaphysics of Hegel and his disciples.  For Della Volpe, in
scientific inquiry, induction and deduction are said to form
a methodological circle, along with matter & reason, fact
(or 'accidental') and hypothesis (or 'necessary').  And
these methodological circles constitute the basis for
scientific dialectics.  In Della Volpe's view scientific
dialectics was concerned with the formulation and
verification of hypotheses as opposed to hypostases

Della Volpe used these foregoing arguments to defend
the thesis that Marxism is a science insomuch as to the
extent that it relies upon a Galilean methodology, it is
exemplifying the same sort of logic as that which underlies
the natural sciences.  *Capital* is the best exemplification
of this moral Galileanism in practice, with Marx exploding
the apriorist reasonings of the classical economists which
involved reliance upon 'speculative' or 'forced' abstractions
which had implied the existence of natural and eternal economic
laws.  Instead Marx followed a methodology that relied upon
determinate abstractions instead.  Della Volpe analyzed Marx's
methodology as one which followed the pattern of Concrete-
Abstract-Concrete (C-A-C), which is the pattern or circle of
scientific materialist dialectics (as opposed to Hegelian
dialectics which follows the circle of Abstract-Concrete-
Abstract).

Jim Farmelant

Surf the web up to FIVE TIMES FASTER!

http://www.c1tracking.com/l.asp?cid=5511