Ralph Dumain:

There's a treasure trove buried inside mountains of crap,

^^^^
CB: No doubt true. Maybe we can even use some of the crap as fertilizer for
fruitful endeavor :>), and then treasures of yore are surrounded by earthly
dirt.

Thanks for all these direct texts , Ralph ! I will be reading your list of
articles.

I actually have a fair number of hardcopy books and articles of Soviet philo
and philo of science, and they are not in computer texts. I'll gather some
to post.

I actually did come across  Jean Van Heijenoort's critique of Engels, and
arrogant non-pro mathematician that I am , I had a response to Van
Heijenoort. I can't remember it right off, but I'll reread Van Heijenoort
and see if I can remember what I thought of.

Comradely,

Charles

^^^^^^^

 but nevertheless
there is a lot of important Soviet work, in the history of philosophy and
philosophy of science.  Even some of the more general programmatic works
are important, because the Soviets had some basic orientations, which were,
at least generally speaking, better than ours, esp. in connection with
critiques of neopositivism.  Hence you'll find some interesting stuff in
Lektorsky, Naletov, and others, including some figures from our standpoint
which are even more obscure (unknown).

For example, Bazhenov is wary of indiscriminate condemnations of
mechanicism and reductionism, and defends what is valuable in reductionism:

"Matter and Motion" by L. Bazhenov

http://www.autodidactproject.org/other/bazhenov.html

On the philosophic misuse of physics and biology as master metaphors, see:

"The Image of Science and Metaphysics" by Nina Yulina
http://www.autodidactproject.org/other/sci-image.html

Lektorsky, among other things, incorporates a notion of subjectivity within
a dialelectical materialist perspective differing from the comparable
subjectivisms of the West:

Subject, Object, Cognition: Contents & Preface to the English edition by V.
A. Lektorsky

http://www.autodidactproject.org/other/lektorsky0.html

The Collective Subject. The Individual Subject by V. A. Lektorsky

http://www.autodidactproject.org/other/lektorsky1.html

Now, on Engels.  In some ways Engels screwed up very badly.  Jean Van
Heijenoort, Trotsky's erstwhile bodyguard and famous mathematical logician,
enumerated Engels' intellectual misdeeds.  You might have missed this one,
as I don't believe MIA has corrected the omission on its Van Heijenoort
page:

Friedrich Engels And Mathematics
http://www.marxists.org/history/etol/writers/heijen/works/math.htm

The problem with "laws" is that others, following Engels' worst practice,
tend to conflate logical with natural laws.  (There is what Lisa was
stumbling over in her final months when reading Engels.)  But even as
logical laws applied to real world processes there's a problem.  Richard
Norman explains this very clearly in a debate with Sean Sayers, who takes
the totally confused, sectarian diamat line.

A general problem, in my opinion, is that people preserve the worst of
Engels while often overlooking his more perspicacious remarks.

There is an even more general trap to avoid, the trap of ensconcing oneself
in a ghetto called "Marxism".  The intellectual goal of Marxism, especially
as relates to the special sciences, is to take an overview of the totality
of knowledge, recognizing that the totality of knowledge is not cornered
and sequestered in one place, but fragmented in a million different
specialized places under alienated social conditions of intellectual
reproduction.  Hence, one has to have a foot in both worlds--the mainstream
world where knowledge production takes place, and the "Marxist" world where
criticism and sythesis is performed to repair the malformations of the big
picture caused by bourgeois society.

Our local philosophy group covered some ground on the emergence
question.  Early on, I raised the issue of materialist vs mystical
conceptions of emergence, but I don't think anyone caught on.  One
theoretical biologist is into Bradley and Whitehead, and also cited
Teilhard de Chardin.  Suspicious.

Perhaps I should try to organize the e-mails I wrote into some coherent
order so I can circulate them more widely.  I thought our in-person group
discussion of emergence could serve as a focal point for transcending the
split between positivist and irrationalist tendencies, and we even got some
scientists interested, but only a few people had anything to say amidst a
barrage of BS.

I think the emergence question is pivotal in a number of areas, e.g.: (1)
diagnosing the fragmentation vs pseudo-unification (mysticism) of the world
picture in bourgeois society, (2) bridging the gap between object and
subject.

I have a few projects in progress addressing these questions, which also
includes a novel interpretation of Marx's 1844 mss, and an analysis of
mystification in popularization of cosmology.

Finally, there are some article from NST already online.  A couple are on
my web site, but the MEP web site offers others:

Selected articles from Nature, Society, and Thought
http://webusers.physics.umn.edu/~marquit/selected.htm

If there's an article you really want to see, you might contact
Marquit.  He might not have the time to do format conversions to put
something online, but you never know.