I'm substantially in agreement with you here. Now, if one wants to unify the marxist and natural-scientific perspectives, in place of relegating them to separate perspectives, then one has to rise to that level of abstraction to construct a unified account of both. This ridiculous meme theory is a noteworthy example of the failure of natural scientists to encompass the social. They've still learned nothing. And Marxists also have their work to do. (I just ran into Sohn-Rethel's first blunder: his account of Galileo's concept of inertia.)

BTW, what do you think of this biosemiotics business. The one theoretical biologist I know who is into this is full of crackpot ideas. I"m very distrustful:

Claus Emmeche
Taking the semiotic turn,
or how significant philosophy of biology should be done

http://mitdenker.at/life/life09.htm

Also at this url:
http://www.nbi.dk/~emmeche/cePubl/2002b.Wit.Sats.html

Note this key passage:

>More and more biologists are beginning to understand that the essence of
>life is to mean something, to mediate significance, to interpret signs.
>This already seems to be implicitly present even in orthodox Neo-Darwinism
>and its recurrent use of terms like "code", "messenger", "genetic
>information", and so on. These concepts substitute the final causes
>Darwinists believed to have discarded 150 years ago, they have become
>firmly established in molecular biology with specific scientific meanings;
>and yet they the semiotic content or connotations are rarely taken serious
>by the scientists to the extant that there is a tendency to devaluate
>their status as being "merely metaphors" when confronted with the question
>about their implied intentionality or semioticity (cf. Emmeche 1999). This
>secret language, where "code" seems to be a code for final cause, points
>to the fact that it might be more honest and productive to attack the
>problem head-on and to formulate an explicit biological theory taking
>these recurrent semiotics metaphors serious and discuss them as pointing
>to real scientific problems. This means that a principal task of biology
>will be to study signs and sign processes in living systems. This is
>biosemiotics -- the scientific study of biosemiosis. Semiotics, the
>general science of signs, thus becomes a reservoir of concepts and
>principles when it is recognized that biology, being about living systems,
>at the same time is about sign systems. Moreover, semiotics will probably
>not remain the same after this encounter with biology: both sciences will
>be transformed fundamentally while gradually being melded into one more
>comprehensive field.

While many of the ideas adumbrated in this review seem to be quite
fruitful, this paragraph is the tipoff that something is rotten in the
state of Denmark.