>>First of all, the theories of knowledge of Engels and Lenin lack the
specificity to grapple with axiomatic systems as we've come to understand
them.  Secondly, the philosophical extrapolations and analogies presented
here are not very good interpretations of Godel.  Putting these two
components together, much of the reasoning we see here is nebulous and vague
verbiage about "dialectics", communicating very little.

[vfr] Nor should they.  Engels and Lenin follow Marx who in turn follows
Hegel in discarding formal logic as useless for the development of empirical
theories for designing social practice.

I can't claim to be an expert in Popper, but I had a specific argument as
to why philosophical reasoning is inadequate as a model for the gaining of
knowledge through practical engagement with the world.<<

Comment

So true and the problem is philosophy or rather Marxism as philosophy or more
accurately "Marxists Philosophy" as philosophy. The method or standpoint or
approach deployed by Marx, once stripped of philosophy, displays - in MY
PERSONAL OPINION, an acute power of observation.

Is it in fact a category of philosophy to state that man must eat, drink
water and self reproduce to exist or a fact of existence? Much verbiage is
attached to the word and concept - (concept!), of dialectics.

In many places the word "dialectic" or "dialectical" is used one could easily
replace it with the word "magic."

The "dialectic of the proletariat" may as well be "the magic of the
proletariat," more often than not.

My inclination was to leave this discussion alone because we inevitably end
up with politics parading as a philosophic materialism predicated upon
assumptions that requires ones prior agreement to make sense. The tendency is
to treat
the "Theory of Knowledge" as something more than a "theory of knowing" or how
wo/man comes to know and how this "coming to know" is compounded and
enriched. The theory of knowing - as I understand Engles and Lenin, is by
definition
subject to human agency and agreements because it is human agency.

"Objective Truth" is an agreement - a social contract, and subject to the
compounding of knowledge during a given era and epoch, although a militant
segment of materialism claims otherwise and blur the important distinction
between
truth and fact. There is a difference.  For example, the existence of the Sun
and Earth is not an "objective truth." Truth by its own definition is subject
to and manifest human agency, while the existence of the Sun and earth does
not. The Sun and earth exist outside the category of "objective truth."

Man exists in relationship to the Sun and not the other way around. WIth the
coming of man
Stating that something is dialectical or manifest the dialectic is a self
contained truth predicated upon a philosophic agreement between participants
that
amounts to a social contract based on agreeing that "matters self movement is
inherently dialectical." The thing being observed in its motion and movement
has no need to prove itself. We attempt to understand - by engagement (wo/man
as social being) and discernment, the self movement of things - life, in its
internal connections, unity, strife, environment and our impact upon that being
witnessed as it impacts us.

Then we seek agreement.

The materialist approach to the theory of knowing means the theory of the
process of the mind (knowing) - discernment and engagement, as mediated and
mediator of human agency, as distinct from the brain.  Here is where
materialism as
philosophy finds its feet or rather, one foot, firmly planted in mid air. Not
because it is "wrong" but because the distinction between the brain and mind
is blurred on the basis of the category called "objective truth." "Objective
truth" has to be torn from a category of philosophy and truth wedded to history
evolution.

The question complicates itself on the basis of itself in society because
history unfolds - is created, by human beings as they are productively active.

The Sun requires no proof of its existence. That is to say, everyone on earth
understands as a law of our existence, that the Sun does not require human
agency and man to be what is has been and shall be. The existence of the Sun
cannot be proven by "objective truth" because it is not a product of human
agency
and is there to be witnessed by all. "Knowing" the Sun is a different matter
altogether and this knowing is the "subject" and slave of the mind.

The mind is "subjective human agency" and the brain is a metabolic process
housing the mind. One is not the other in a very important area. The brain is
subject to definable and increasingly knowable material agents and metabolic
processes impacting the mind as it excites and bring to life the power of
observation and knowing. Accuracy of observation is not the same as knowing or
what
is the same, the theory of know(ledge). The theory of knowing is fully subject
to and evolves within the framework of history as human agency. The power of
observation is subject to a different law system.

Marx materialism or rather the approach and method of Marx proceeds
magnificently from a self contained fact +  truth that human knowing evolves in
the
same direction as the progressive development of the productive forces and this
development of the material power of production defines the meaning of history
or "his story of coming to know."

We tend to fight battles that Marx already won. When Marx wrote "that the
philosophers have only interpreted the world in various ways, the point is to
change it," this was "right on" - a good thing and he wrote as a revolutionary.
Today the question has deepened with knowing. In what direction and on what
metabolic basis? Since we can only change society in the direction it is
already
going as history, the battle becomes a contest of will + knowing + discernment
and art.

Pardon my different direction or anti-philosphy "Philosophy." The theory of
knowledge needs both feet planted in the soil of man. What determines the
"power of observation" is lacking in virtually all Marxists writings I have
encountered over the years. The "power of observation" does not mean "knowing"
or the
theory of knowing evolution as history.

If the theory of knowing in the hands of Marx, Engels and Lenin is predicated
upon history and history is measurable as it creates and is the progressive
development of the material power of production, then Marxism defines itself as
subject to the same history it observes. The instruments of "the Marxists"
critique has to be critiqued on the basis of the method of Marx rather than a
self contained knowing of Marxism as philosophy.

It can be assumed - seemingly apriori, that the previous generations of
Marxists are historically incorrect in their history view of the proletariat
becoming that which is not visible during one particular era of engagement. The
Marxists are historically incorrect - and everyone else, because knowing is
subject and slave to history creation as the progressive development of the
means
and material power of production.

Formal logic today is not the formal logic of the era of Marx, although I do
not campaign on behalf of formal logic unless it becomes a formal framework
outside the mechanical logic that has characterized - not simply philosophy,
but
the industrial era and epoch. Marxism as such can only critique itself in
relationship to history or a historical specific boundary in the progressive
development of the material power of production as knowing.

Every day, many of "the Marxists" political categories of the past run into
the wall of history and reveal themselves as industrial categories.  Those who
aspire to inherit and propagate the method of Marx can be confident as
individuals, provided we subject our own knowing to the most relentless
criticism.

Waistline