Did some further checking in MIA and you're quite correct, even when Marx discusses ancient astrology it, he treats it as a practical solution to a human problem, i.e. as a cosmic calendar, compass and clock. From the point of view of Historical materialism the importance of science, even theoretical science is its role in the realization of practical human needs. The only other imaginable value of natural science for historical materialism is the development of more concrete understandings of those physical, chemical and organic processes that can be shown to have important consequences for the development of human activity and particularly of human social activity.
Oudeyis
----- Original Message ----- From: "Ralph Dumain" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: <marxism-thaxis@lists.econ.utah.edu>
Cc: <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Sent: Monday, May 30, 2005 11:25
Subject: Re: [Marxism-Thaxis] O, Dialectics!

Well, if you got my point (2), the rest shouldn't be so mysterious. M&E openly admit they're not going to tackle directly either the natural sciences as an intellectual enterprise or their objects of study (laws of nature). At the same time they admit that's part of the picture, though they are specifically beginning their studies from the standpoint of historical materialism. That's a pretty damn important point, esp. for those who would make claims about Marx's attitude to science.

As I recall, at that stage, Marx only really considers science as something that plays a role in industry--man's advanced interchange with nature. Science as an intellectual activity in itself, as theorizing, method, or research, is not part of the picture at this time. Hence, M&E do not turn their attention to the philosophy of the natural sciences.

I'll add to that: when Marx makes remarks criticizing prior materialism, this belongs to the history of philosophy, not actual modern science. Discussing Epicurus and Democritus or the French materialists is not engaging with science. I'll add also, that a philosophy of nature is not a philosophy of science, if a perspective on scientific methodology as a means of understanding nature is not included in it.

BTW, Marx's early writings (vol. 1) includes some outline of Hegel's philosophy of nature. But I don't really know how Marx may have used Hegel's PN. Does anyone know something I don't?