At 02:12 PM 6/22/2005 +0200, Victor wrote:
Hegel regards objectification as simply the alienation of spirit in the object. The ideal itself is the alienated spirit that has become a universal through the mediation of language. True, I've not addressed the problem of whether Hegel regarded labour activity (transformation of the ideal as consciousness joined with language forms by its expression in labour activity) but if I recall correctly he does not really concern himself with this problem. The question of the effect, if any, of labour activity on the ideal certainly does not appear in the Logic. Marx in his 1844 Critique of Hegelian Philosophy takes Hegel to task for regarding the nature that becomes the subject of logos as the abstracted nature of theory rather than the material nature external to intellect. It is however an interesting question, and I would appreciate any additional information on this. Meanwhile I'll do some investigation on my own.

I can't help you answer my question, but it _is_ the question (Hegel's specific view of labor activity) which you did not clearly address in your exposition.

In respect to the relation between reason and nature for sure (see above). While it is true that the laws and principles that govern material practice directed towards the realization of the objectives of labour activity are abstract theoretical representations they or at least their application are subject to the test of nature which is not dependent solely on human knowledge but also involves phenomena that is entirely indifferent to the intellectual creations of men.

How does this differ from Hegel's view? Hegel as an inheritor of idealist tradition would not express himself this way, but presumably he has a way of accounting for the testing of our subjective notions about nature.

Thus theory, even natural science theory, can never precisely describe actual labour activity if only because the natural conditions confronting labour are in a constant state of change. Thus the natural laws or application of natural laws incorporated into the design of any given labour activity will never be exactly those encountered in the course of actual labour activity.

This is what bugs me about your conception of scientific theory, which is not about labor activity. I don't like this way of expressing things.

This, by the way, is how Lenin regards Engels theory of freedom and necessity in human activity. "Secondly, Engels does not attempt to contrive "definitions" of freedom and necessity, the kind of scholastic definition with which the reactionary professors (like Avenarius) and their disciples (like Bogdanov) are most concerned. Engels takes the knowledge and will of man, on the one hand, and the necessity of nature, on the other, and instead of giving definitions, simply says that the necessity of nature is primary, and human will and mind secondary. The latter must necessarily and inevitably adapt themselves to the former. Engels regards this as so obvious that he does not waste words explaining his view. It needs the Russian Machians to complain of Engels' general definition of materialism (that nature is primary and mind secondary; remember Bogdanov's "perplexity" on this point!), and at the same time to regard one of the particular applications by Engels of this general and fundamental definition as "wonderful" and "remarkably apt"!

Thirdly, Engels does not doubt the existence of "blind necessity." He admits the existence of a necessity unknown to man. This is quite obvious from the passage just quoted. But how, from the standpoint of the Machians, can man know of the existence of what he does not know? Is it not "mysticism," "metaphysics," the admission of "fetishes" and "idols," is it not the "Kantian unknowable thing-in-itself" to say that we know of the existence of an unknown necessity? Had the Machians given the matter any thought they could not have failed to observe the complete identity between Engels' argument on the knowability of the objective nature of things and on the transformation of "things-in-themselves" into "things-for-us," on the one hand, and his argument on a blind, unknown necessity, on the other. The development of con-sciousness in each human individual and the development of the collective knowledge of humanity at large presents us at every step with examples of the transformation of the unknown "thing-in-itself" into the known "thing-for-us," of the transformation of blind, unknown necessity, "necessity-in-itself," into the known "necessity-for-us." Epistemologically, there is no difference whatever between these two transformations, for the basic point of view in both cases is the same, viz., materialistic, the recognition of the objective reality of the external world and of the laws of external nature, and of the fact that this world and these laws are fully knowable to man but can never be known to him with finality. We do not know the necessity of nature in the phenomena of the weather, and to that extent we are inevitably slaves of the weather. But while we do not know this necessity, we do know that it exists. Whence this knowledge? From the very source whence comes the knowledge that things exist outside our mind and independently of it, namely, from the development of our knowledge, which provides millions of examples to every individual of knowledge replacing ignorance when an object acts upon our sense-organs, and conversely of ignorance replacing knowledge when the possibility of such action is eliminated. (Lenin (1908) Materialism and Emperio-Criticism Chapter 6)

This is remarkably objectivistic of you, given the thrust of your arguments to date.

By the way I've one reservation concerning Lenin (and Engels) view regarding the issue of natural laws. They appear to argue, correct me if I'm wrong, that the natural law to which men must conform is that which is universal to all nature. I would argue that we do not and cannot know the laws universal to nature, but only the particular manifestation of natural law as it pertains to human labour activity and that these are not identical.

I don't like this formulation. (Reminds me of Popper in a weird way.) I suggest that your last sentence is a non sequitur, and the phrase 'human labour activity' is out of place. We've known since Hume that we can't prove any of our knowledge claims definitively, and all philosophers of science subscribe to some form of fallibilism. However, it is an arbitrary supposition that our knowledge claims cannot pertain to universal natural laws, which is what he most powerful scientific claims purport to do. Furthermore, your assertion contradicts your whole argument about Engels.

That is, natural laws regarding human interaction with nature are universal only as regards the labour activity of all men in nature.

This is an obscurantist formulation of the egocentric predicament, with that objectionable phrase 'labor activity'.

To argue otherwise departs from the essentially activist paradigm of Hegel and Marx and describes human knowledge of nature as that of an essentially disinterested being contemplating nature free of the restrictions of his own properties and interests.

Non sequitur and false assumption.  I don't like this at all.