Paddy Hackett
The Worst Mistake in the History of the Human Race

^^^^^^
CB: From a Marxist perspective, the origin of agriculture - domestication of
plants and animals - was the basis for producing surpluses, which in
turnsupported non-productive classes that evolved into exploitative classes.

Paddy: I understand what you are saying Charles. But does this linearity
constitute progress? On what basis can it be validly concluded what is
advanced, progressive or better. Can it be validly concluded that bacteria
or chimps are  less succesful or more advanced species than homo sapiens?

Paddy Hackett

^^^^^^

CB: No, I don't consider the origin of _exploiting_ classes as progress.

Now with nuclear weapons, I'd say that in the long run, it has been
regressive, not progressive.

Of course, I was an anthropology major in school, and we are often accused
of indulging in romaticizing "noble savages".

I have a paper I wrote arguing that "primary culture" is superior to
state-exploitative culture, given that primary culture lasted for hundreds
of thousands of years successfully, and now state-exploitative culture
threatens extinction of our species.

In other words, no, I don't think it's progressive, in the big picture.