On Fri, 5 Aug 2005 10:42:02 +0100 "Paddy Hackett" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
writes:
> CB: We can claim that we are the center of the universe FOR US, yes.

> Consequently to suggest that a modest
> unestablished notion of humans 'obliged to look out for themselves'
> can
> serve as a driving force of the future being of man is not a valid
> assumption. It is an unestablished form of naive idealism. It is
> this
> problem that is also at the heart of the problems and ambiguities of
>
> marxism. It is these matters that need to be thrashed out. Darwin's
> dangerous idea is that it irrefutably demonstrated that
> consciousness, and
> thereby god, is an unnecessary element in any objective outline of
> natural
> development. Homo sapiens if a result of the ongoing process of
> evolution by
> natural selection. This means that the brain and its consciousness
> is
> inherently an evolutionary product of a universal production
> process.

It should be noted that the relationships between Marxism
and Darwinism have come up for discussion on this list in
the past.  For example, see the following:
http://lists.econ.utah.edu/pipermail/marxism-thaxis/2002-February/017529.
html
http://lists.econ.utah.edu/pipermail/marxism-thaxis/2002-February/017537.
html