On Wed, 01 Mar 2006 13:53:28 -0500 Ralph Dumain <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:
> Van Heijenoort argues that Engels was backwards with respect to the
> mathematics of his time, and also narrow-minded and provincial with
> respect
> to the history of science (anti-English prejudice) coupled with an
> uncritical veneration of Marx.

Engels was almost a century behind the times in terms
of his understanding of the foundations of the calculus.
His remarks concerning calculus adhered to the
older approaches that were based on infinitesimals
rather than on the then recently developed approach
based on the theory of limits that people like Cauchy
pioneered.  I have read people who have said that
Marx had a more up to date understanding of that
subject than did Engels. Engels also said some
silly things about imaginary numbers in his
*Dialectics of Nature* as well.

On the other hand, Engels seems to have a very
good understanding of the natural science of his
day. Hilary Putnam used to call Engels the "most
learned man of the nineteenth century." His essay,
"The Part Played by Labor in the Transition from Ape to Man,"
is deservedly revered, despite the fact that Engels
cast of his reasoning in Lamarckian terms.
Stephen Jay Gould in his book, *Ever Since Darwin*, wrote:

"Indeed, the nineteenth century produced a brilliant exposé from a source
that will no doubt surprise most readers - Frederick Engels. (A bit of
reflection should diminish surprise. Engels had a keen interest in the
natural sciences and sought to base his general philosophy of dialectical
materialism upon a 'positive' foundation. He did not live to complete his
'dialectics of nature', but he included long commentaries on science in
such treatises as the Anti-Dühring.) In 1876, Engels wrote an essay
entitled, The Part Played by Labour in the Transition from Ape to Man. It
was published posthumously in 1896 and, unfortunately, had no visible
impact upon Western science.

"Engels considers three essential features of human evolution: speech, a
large brain, and upright posture. He argues that the first step must have
been a descent from the trees with subsequent evolution to upright
posture
by our ground-dwelling ancestors. 'These apes when moving on level ground
began to drop the habit of using their hands and to adopt a more and more
erect gait. This was the decisive step in the transition from ape to
man.'
Upright posture freed the hand for using tools (labour, in Engels'
terminology); increased intelligence and speech came later."

> However, there are two important circumstantial factors that should
> not be
> overlooked:
>
> (1) Engels intervened in the context of combatting the superstition
> and
> pseudo-science of his own time, including illegitimate metaphysical
> extrapolations of vulgar evolutionism.  As a critic of bourgeois
> obfuscation, Engels make a great deal of sense.

Quite so.  Lenin to some extent continued that project in
his *Materialism and Empirio-criticism*, especially in
chapter 5, where he wrote concerning "The Recent Revolution
in Natural Science and Philosophical Idealism,"
polemicizing against scientists and other writers who
attempted to use the then recent discoveries in physics
to support idealism and theism.

Other writers who are not necessarily orthodox
Marxists have been concerned with as well.
For example, the logical empiricist Philipp Frank
took aim at efforts to
promulgate metaphysical interpretations of
science, in his *Modern Science and It's Philosophy*,
and his *Philosophy of Science*. And British
philosopher, Susan Stebbing, in her book,
*Philosophy and the Physicists*, which took
aim at the efforts of physicists, James Jeans
and Arthur Eddington to use modern physics
(i.e. relativity and quantum mechanics) to
support theism, idealist metaphysics,
contra-causal free will and so forth.