This is all quite so. Marx's knowledge of developments in the calculus was also behind the times, but Van Heijenoort absolves Marx of narrow-minded dogmatism.

I still need to acquire a copy of that obscure bulletin containing Van H's arguments against Novack. For some reason, I can't find a copy of his essay "The Algebra of Revolution" that appeared in NEW INTERNATIONAL, which I once combed pretty thoroughly.

As for critiques of Engels and diamat, there's little original left to say. Two sources that immediately come to mind are:

James Scanlan, Marxism in the USSR (1985)

Richard Norman (good) and Sean Sayers (bad), HEGEL, MARX, AND DIALECTIC.

It is quite important to understand the origins of Engels' interest in these philosophical questions in critiques of contemporaneous metaphysical, evolutionary pseudo-science. Historical materialism may well have required some logical discussion in terms of emergent properties as well as its underlying categorial structure, as it does today when confronting the nonsense purveyed by sociobiology. Most of Engels' examples drawn from mathematics and natural science are trivial nonsense; what dialectics is about is the underlying structure of categorial thinking.

As for the irrelevance of 'academic Marxism', there are sound historical reasons for what today has become academic, whether from the politically engaged Lukacs and Gramsci or from the politically disengaged (instrumentally) Frankfurt School. Analytical philosophy is ignorant and incompetent with respect to these matters.

As it happens, I am now reading an excellent book on the Frankfurt School, which I have added to my bibliography on theory and practice. See Dubiel on my web page:

THE PHILOSOPHY OF THEORY AND PRACTICE:
SELECTED BIBLIOGRAPHY
http://www.autodidactproject.org/bib/praxis1.html