On Thu, 2 Mar 2006 02:22:29 -0000 "rosa lichtenstein"
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:
> Jim,
>
> Thanks for that; however, while I recognise that others have said
> somewhat
> similar things, I do not think you have shown that the ones you list
> argue
> the way I do.
>
> Hook does not pose this dilemma, as far as I am aware. If you give
> me the
> page reference, I will check. If it is the same, as I said, I will
> be
> gob-smacked.

What I was thinking of was chapter 9, "Dialectic and Nature," in
*Reason, Social Myth and Democracy* (Prometheus Books, 1991),
in particular the discussion
that appears from pages 206-210.  Hook's argument, to be sure,
is not identical with your argument, but like you, Hook makes
the point that when we have contradictions appearing within
or between scientific theories, the scientist attempts to discover
ways for resolving or eliminating these contradictions rather
than just blandly accepting their existence on the grounds that
reality is contradictory.