Marx Wartofsky's massive study, Feuerbach (Cambridge University Press,1977),
would, I think be an exception to that rule.

Jim F.

-- Ralph Dumain <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
Expositions of Marxism have tended to limit treating Feuerbach as a
thinker in his own right, but not all scholars, Marxist and
non-Marxist, have imposed such limitations.

I don't know whether Marx or Kierkegaard even knew of one another's
existence, so I don't know what is to be said on that score in terms
of the development of either.

The Engels piece is interesting in various respects. I would be
tempted to find it unsatisfactory, but Engels does mention the
importance of the inherited concept of sacrifice.  I am not so
impressed with the similarities between primitive Christianity and
communism, though they might hold propaganda value for many. There
are many equally as important factors to consider.

Hermeneutics was originally Christian, and I think this includes
Schleiermacher, a contemporary of Hegel.  But hermeneutics got a big
boost in an extra-religious context in the person of Dilthey,a key
figure in the development of 19th century thought.