The mere association of "womanism" with theology
is sufficient to discredit it. I once heard a
radio interview in which Walker said she called
herself a womanist because she's a Southern
woman, which is also enough to cast suspicion on
her perspective. I wrote an unflattering blog
entry on the occasion of her birthday:

http://reasonsociety.blogspot.com/2008/02/alice-walkers-new-age-freethought.html