Obama's "exotic" life story did not prevent him from gaining the
respect and support of significant members of the elite.  How this
happened is worthy of study.  People are only now reminded of Obama's
"deviant" status due to the Rev. Wright flap, but neither Obama's
supporters nor his detractors have to my knowledge put this scenario
together with Obama's mainstream status.

Two transitions are worthy of study: (1) the transition from Obama's
upbringing to his decision to join a fire-and-brimstone activist
black church, itself significant in addition to rejecting his
mother's secular humanist perspective and becoming a Christian
(yechhh!)--whether sincere or itself a political move (if there is
any significant distinction), I wouldn't know; (2) the transition
from community activist to political office. It is probably the case
that regardless of the possible ways in which (2) contradicts (1),
they could be regarded as two facets of one common bourgeois
orientation, which I say for the sake of analysis not necessarily for
condemnation.  It is also interesting that transition (1) made Obama
black and (2) whitened him up, metaphorically speaking.  Obama's
backers among the elite were apparently not troubled by (1), and it
doesn't seem to have been an issue until the Wright video
mysteriously appeared at just the crucial moment.