Concerning Marxism and theology, while I am
no expert on liberation theology, I am quite
aware that many leading 20th century theologians
took an interest in old Chuck (along with
Feuerbach, Nietzsche and Freud), including such
figures as Karl Barth, Reinhold Niebhur, and
Paul Tillich, to name just a few names.
The old social democrat, Michael Harrington,
was pretty good on this in his book,
*The Politics at God's Funeral*.  Mark
Lindley and I discussed Harrington in
our essay, "Six Prominent American Freethinkers,"
which is available online at:
http://www.monthlyreview.org/mrzine/fl161208.html.

One of our later posters. Ralph Dumain, has discussed
the issues of reductionism and emergence on a special
blog at:
http://www.autodidactproject.org/my/emergence-blog.html

Jim Farmelant

-- Susan F Dane <susanfd...@mac.com> wrote:
Dear Fellow-Subscribers:
I've recently subscribed and am receiving a variety articles. However
I'm looking for something specific pertaining to the following:

I am currently beginning a study of 'liberation theology'.  Marx and
his 'dialectic' keep coming up in  a way presupposing the reader has
some understanding of what this is.
I'm pretty clueless and need some help trying to understand what an
atheist is doing (albeit not by his own direct actions) in the realm
of theology.
There have been some indications that this is somehow compatible with
or a natural consequence of the confidence human kind has been led to
place in 'science'...  I'm not seeing a clear connection.

I am lacking in the presuppositions to jump into the conversation
with much understanding.

Anyone care to respond to the issue of "Marxism and 'reductionism'"?

Any help is appreciated. Many thanks, Susan Dane