In a message dated 12/25/2008 2:57:08 A.M. Eastern Standard Time,
jann...@gmail.com writes:
>>Thanks for the reference to this loathsome  piece of shit,<<

Well for me the topic is something like a glass of  sour milk being
dashed onto the redhot glowing elements of an electric  heater. Could
anything good come from it? I tried by going back to the  Young
Hegelians.

I guess some liberation theologians have ended their  theological
careers and become Marxists.

CJ

Comment

I actually took part in the Liberation Theology in the Americas: Detroit 2
conference back in 1975 as a party assignment.  1975 . . . was a lifetime  ago
and I have long ago discarded the mountainous amount of literature on this
subject of "The God of the Oppressed." I believe that there was a brief
discussion of Liberation Theology on this list maybe 4 or five years ago with
Ralph
- being Ralph, being extremely vocal on the hypocrisy of Black Theology  and
Liberation Theology in general.

1975 was still part of the hay  day of the movement and the strike wave in
Detroit was in the process of  peaking. On this basis a section of the
organizing of the Detroit 2 Conference  were eager for us "Black Communists" to
be a
part of this event. Although Cone  is credited with the first modern attempts
merge Black Theology -  Christianity, with Marxism, I believe - if memory
serves me correct, that the  young Cornel West did his "ghost writing."

Now I remember why  Ralph was upset. I stated that I had met Cornel West at
this Conference and that  he later introduced me to Kant and several other
philosophers.  At any  rate, a Black Theology is rapidly losing its luster and
appeal at this stage of  post segregation America.

Back in 1975 the attempt to merge -  actually find common ground, with
Marxism and "the Marxists" was due to the  impact of the communists on the
social
struggle in America, and the passing over  of the League of Revolutionary Black
Workers to the California Communist League.  Then again, most of the comrades
in Detroit - not all, were not hostile to the  Church and especially the small
"store front" churches that are abundant in most  black areas of any town
USA.

The Detroit 2 Conference actually  bought together real organizers in the
social movement. A few of these activists  were hostile to the very idea of
communism.

On the level of  "philosophy" absolutely no one - outside reactionaries, can
dismiss the  brilliance of  Marx statement on the revolutionary process
society passes  through. Marx materialist conception of history is summarized
in the
Preface to  his Contribution to a Critique of Political Economy.

As a practical question it never occurred to me to challenge individuals
about their belief system and I generally work with people around specific
issues that do not require philosophic debate as a precondition for activity.
Further, I long ago gave up philosophic discussions under the banner of being
"anti-philosophy." After all the philosophers have only interpreted the world
in
various ways. The communist approach is to more accurately describe the world
in  which we live as the basis to grapple with the practical questions facing
 the proletarian movement.

I leave the great philosophic  debates to my betters.

Waistline

Gmail, and Yahoo Mail. Try it now.