In a message dated 2/2/2010 9:31:43 P.M. Pacific Standard  Time,
jann...@gmail.com writes:

Lastly, what strikes me about WL's posts  is that they repeat the same
error that I'm going out on a limb in calling a  type of 'psychologism'. As if
somehow this insight about financialization and  siliconchipping will lead to
some sort of collective awareness and  transformation. It might feel nicer
than cynicism and despair but honestly it  makes me feel more cynical and
despairing.

CJ

Here is a sample of Brain's from  part 3 of Robotics Nation.

>> At least 50 percent of the people  working in the American job market
today are working in people-powered  industries like fast-food restaurants
(McDonald's, Burger King, Wendy's, etc.),  retail stores (Wal-Mart, Home Depot,
Target, Toys "R" Us, etc.), delivery  companies (the post office, Fedex,
UPS, etc.), construction, airlines, amusement  parks, hotels and motels,
warehousing and so on. All of these jobs are prime  targets for robotic
replacement.

In 2003 we are seeing the deployment of automated checkout lines in  stores
all across the U.S. This is the leading edge of the robotic revolution in
retail. By 2015 we will start to see voice-recognizing robots helping
customers  in these stores, inventory-shelving robots putting the products out,
cleaning  robots sweeping the floors and the parking lots, cart robots
bringing the  shopping carts back into the store.... Robots will be moving in
make the  completely automated retail store a reality in a 2020 time frame.
[See Evidence  for details.] <<

Brain ends his article on this note:

>> "Robots have the potential to do so much good for the world,  because
they will finally free people from the requirement of human labor. The  only
way for all of us to experience these benefits, however, is to create an
economic system that maximizes freedom and choice for everyone in the economy.
The proposal presented in this article shows that there are ways to enhance
the  capitalistic system and in the process make life better for everyone.
My hope is  that we begin discussing and then implementing systems that will
let our society  and our economy get the most benefit from the new robotic
nation. We should use  robots to give every citizen true economic freedom
for the first time in human  history. <<

The quality of McDonald's food was not the subject of  "Robotic Nation." My
read of this article was that displacement of labor driven  by falling
profit margins and more efficient form of laboring increases the  demand for
implementing more advanced robotics in the production process.

WL.