Matthew wrote:
>At the Libyan-Egyptian Border...The reporter
>claims aid from medical teams that aided the Cairo
>demonstrations, etc.

>If there is any outside intervention, it appears to
>come from Egypt. But given the unsettled state of
>the Egyptian regime, WHO from Egypt? While the
military junta easily comes to mind, our knowledge
>of factions and their relations with the opposition
>are too poor to judge right now.

NPR is reporting tonight that people in Cairo
are collecting medical supplies to send to
Libya as an expression of solidarity with
the "people's revolution." There were also
reports today and yesterday of expressions
of solidarity from the people of Tunisia.

The support of Chavez, Castro,
and Nestor for the Libyan regime, as an
act of anti-imperialism, does
have a certain logic, but it is not
reflected in the appeals of Gaddafi and his
designated heir, Saif. The son is attacking
"Arab media" and Gadaffi is blaming
Al Qaeda and the use of drugs by unemployed
youth as the cause for the rising.

As the regime lashes out at the insurgents,
the choice is a stark one for the left.
Is this re-bith of the revolutionary
pan-Arab movement to be supported or
should some governments such as Libya or
Syria be exempted for anti-imperialist
reasons? If there is a real potential
of American troops showing up
in Tripoli, then shouldn't there be
military support from Cuba, Venezuela, and
Iran? I am discounting, for now,
the possibility of volunteer brigades
from the WRP or perhaps even the
Fifth International fighting alongside the
mercenaries currently struggling
to save the Gaddafi regime.