...and email lists aren't parties.  If you see the email list in this way,
I'd urge you to push your chair back, log off, shut down the computer and
take a week to reacquaint yourself with RL.

And parties, as far as that goes, aren't microcosms of some future society.
If you are trying to live your life in that shell, I think you should break
out of it as well...

Taken for what it is, this part of cyberspace--notwithstanding the
subject--is not socially or democratically owned and managed.  I don't even
know how you could attempt such an experiment of doing this in a useful
way.....

The better analogy, frequently made, is that this is a different kind of
"party."  We're a group of people having a discussion as we're sitting
around the moderator's living room.  The host makes the rules.  Each of us
would probably do this a little differently, but that's the way it goes.

The most important question is whether the list does anything at all for us
we couldn't get any other way.  I think our presence here rather answers
that question.  If it does, we should refrain from lighting large cheap
cigars and throwing matches in the moderator's waste can.

ML