I hardly consider this worth answering, but just want to point
out to anyone new here that every time this issue comes up Mark
ALWAYS offers the same tired explanation. I guess it could be
described as "pedantry" just as Louis (correctly) described
Walter's post.

My concern isn't that losing a list member is any greater a
tragedy than if they had never been here in the first place, but
rather that such a modus operandi gives the left a bad name.
Just as I think the position on Libya by Walter/PSL/Fidel gives
the left a bad name. And then we hear some whining that those
fighting for freedom and democracy in Libya (etc.) "fail" to
appreciate the legacy of the left. :-(

- Jeff

On Fri, March 4, 2011 15:35, Mark Lause wrote:

> ...and email lists aren't parties.  If you see the email list in
> this way,
> I'd urge you to push your chair back, log off, shut down the
> computer and
> take a week to reacquaint yourself with RL.
>
> And parties, as far as that goes, aren't microcosms of some
> future society.
> If you are trying to live your life in that shell, I think you
> should break
> out of it as well...
>
> Taken for what it is, this part of cyberspace--notwithstanding
> the
> subject--is not socially or democratically owned and managed.  I
> don't even
> know how you could attempt such an experiment of doing this in a
> useful
> way.....
>
> The better analogy, frequently made, is that this is a different
> kind of
> "party."  We're a group of people having a discussion as we're
> sitting
> around the moderator's living room.  The host makes the rules.
> Each of us
> would probably do this a little differently, but that's the way
> it goes.
>
> The most important question is whether the list does anything at
> all for us
> we couldn't get any other way.  I think our presence here rather
> answers
> that question.  If it does, we should refrain from lighting
> large cheap
> cigars and throwing matches in the moderator's waste can.
>
> ML

[Intentionally not clipped]