Louis writes:

"David, I have a hard time figuring out what is more aberrant. You
posting this pro-nuclear propaganda to the Marxism list right now..."

Louis, so I should counter your sharp response with: I find it
"aberrant" that you post only NYT and other anti-nuclear propaganda on
the Marxism list, devoid of any scientific analysis and based on
speculation? Fine. Basically if YOU disagree with the content or
message, it's "pro-nuclear propaganda". You post idiotic stuff from
Harvey Wasserman, you ought rename the list to something other than
"Marxism".

I think what's happening in Japan is absolutely terrible. I think it's
terrible thousands have died and that we don't have a *clue* about the
full extend of what this earthquake had done, with dams bursting, oil
refineries on fie, and so on. And... I'm willing to wait and post
counter-responses to what are blind accusations until actual
*scientific analysis* is done on what is going on there. Right now ALL
sources of information come from one of there points:
1. The Japanese gov't.
2. TEPCO, the operators of the plant.
3. Japanese Nuclear and Safety Agency.

There are no other sources. The NYT, especially Wald, has been using
his reporter's position to selectively make the situation worse than
perhaps it is. For example, he fails to mention...that radiation
levels have actually gone *down* around the plant and has not gone up
at all during venting. Why would he omit this? (it also raises another
important question that if venting is not the source of what radiation
that his measured, where does it come from and has containment been
breached and if so, how? See? This is the kind of questions and
discussion *serious* people have on nuclear energy. But that would
require questions from someone who can ask a speculative question who
is scientifically based and not propaganda based).

I'm following responses from *qualified* people who have  made
judgements because they actually parse ALL the information available
not just selectively. This means reading information from the Science
magazine whose blog contains the most *qualified* condemnation of
nuclear energy and the events there I've read yet because the author
at least knows what he's talking and avoid anything from Greenpeace or
Counterpunch as an obvious waste of time. I'll regularly read the
updated American Nuclear Society blog which has updated news from all
sources, *completely* presented, for better or worse, but avoid the
NEI (Nuclear Energy Institute) for the same obvious reasons I'd avoid
anti-nuclear propaganda sites.  I spend about 2 hours a day, starting
Friday night, reading through all this stuff (except yesterday where I
was at a Student conference on budget cuts).

If people want to start examining the actual events, one can start
with an actual cut-away diagram of the reactor here:

http://www.nei.org/filefolder/BoilingWaterReactorDesign_3.jpg

You'll notice it doesn't look like anything one unusually associates
with a nuclear reactor, a sort of inverted torus  shaped light-bulb.
This was the oldest commercial plant in Japan and, ironically, was due
to be taken out of service and decommissioned *this year*.

DW