Hi,

This is a pretty frightening attack on academic freedom which you may
or may not be aware of: a University of Wisconsin history professor,
William Cronon, wrote a blog entry titled,
"Who’s Really Behind Recent Republican Legislation in Wisconsin and
Elsewhere? (Hint: It Didn’t Start Here)" -
http://scholarcitizen.williamcronon.net/2011/03/15/alec/

The blog entry details the working of the American Legislative
Exchange Council, a conservative group whose "goal for the past forty
years," Cronon writes, "has been to draft 'model bills' that
conservative legislators can introduce in the 50 states. Its website
claims that in each legislative cycle, its members introduce 1000
pieces of legislation based on its work, and claims that roughly 18%
of these bills are enacted into law." Apparently his blog entry took
off and was read by half a million people, journalists, etc. Cronon
also wrote a NYTimes op-ed that appeared on March 22:
http://www.nytimes.com/2011/03/22/opinion/22cronon.html

The Wisconsin Republican Party then filed a state open records request
to get access to his personal e-mail to examine what went into writing
the piece:

"Under Wisconsin open records law, we are requesting copies of the
following items:

Copies of all emails into and out of Prof. William Cronon's state
email account from January 1, 2011 to present which reference any of
the following terms: Republican, Scott Walker, recall, collective
bargaining, AFSCME, WEAC, rally, union, Alberta Darling, Randy Hopper,
Dan Kapanke, Rob Cowles, Scott Fitzgerald, Sheila Harsdorf, Luther
Olsen, Glenn Grothman, Mary Lazich, Jeff Fitzgerald, Marty Beil, or
Mary Bell.

We are making this request under Chapter 19.32 of the Wisconsin state
statutes, through the Open Records law. Specifically, we would like to
cite the following section of Wis. Stat. 19.32 (2) that defines a
public record as "anything recorded or preserved that has been created
or is being kept by the agency. This includes tapes, films, charts,
photographs, computer printouts, etc.""
----

The issue is detailed at Talking Points Memo:
http://www.talkingpointsmemo.com/archives/2011/03/my_worlds_collide.php

Professor Cronon wrote a response here:
http://scholarcitizen.williamcronon.net/2011/03/24/open-records-attack-on-academic-freedom/
He writes, "The timing of Mr. Thompson’s request surely means that it
is a response to my blog posting about the American Legislative
Exchange Council, since I have never before been the subject of an
Open Records request, and nothing in my prior professional life has
ever attracted this kind of attention from the Republican Party. It
doesn’t take a great leap of logic to infer that Mr. Thompson and his
colleagues aren’t particularly eager to have a state university
professor asking awkward questions about the dealings of state
Republicans with the American Legislative Exchange Council. This open
records request apparently seemed to Mr. Thompson to be a good way to
discourage me from sticking my nose in places he doesn’t think it
belongs."

Just trying to pass the word along.

Dan