On 3/25/2011 9:43 AM, Dan DiMaggio wrote:

Hi,

This is a pretty frightening attack on academic freedom which you may
or may not be aware of: a University of Wisconsin history professor,
William Cronon, wrote a blog entry titled,
"Who’s Really Behind Recent Republican Legislation in Wisconsin and
Elsewhere? (Hint: It Didn’t Start Here)" -
http://scholarcitizen.williamcronon.net/2011/03/15/alec/

Cronon is an interesting guy. A long time ago when I was writing more about Marxism and ecology than I do today, I was fairly critical of his approach, which typically argued in "Nature's Metropolis" that the Chicago stockyards are representative of the city's "ecology". For Cronon, ecology means change--pretty much.

Anyhow, I am glad that he is part of the academic vanguard in Wisconsin even though it has provoked the wrath of the scumbags there.