I don't think they were breakaways. It seemed to be part of an
emerging strategy by the main leadership of the movement.
At the time I was searching desperately for news of how the leadership
in the square was strategizing about when, how and with what numbers
to move on such installations.
Meanwhile the military was trying to figure out when that assault
would come, and they clearly decided to push out Mubarak before the
masses (NOT splinter groups) made their move.