On Sun, Aug 14, 2011 at 2:38 AM, Tom Cod <tomc...@gmail.com> wrote:

I was intrigued when I was in the Middle East and actually a temple to
> Baal from circa 200 BC partially intact, a domed structure in the
> sophisticated Hellenic style.

Very interesting. Where was that? I recently visited the Philistine temple
of Dagon supposedly demolished by Sampson in Gaza. (Today it's the Great
Mosque, of course.)

> In our 50s US world in church school, however, Abraham-as depicted by
> Charlton Heston-was praised for willing to sacrifice his son.  Oh
> sure, God would never have made him do it, but Abraham mindless (call
> it "faith") willingness to obey such a command from a rightful ruler
> was considered most praiseworthy and part of what the Free World and
> the American Way were all about.

I imagine Kierkegaard's Fear and Trembling may be a more intelligent (which
is not necessarily to say valid) defense of Abraham.

lytlað."