Decades ago, now, I taught at a college where 9/10 of us were
adjuncts. It never had any problem with accreditation.

I remember applying for a job as an adjunct in an Illinois community
college and they wanted me to submit course designs and syllabi as
part of the evaluation.  I did.  Next thing I knew, they had someone
with a masters in an unrelated field teachng one of them.

The professional associations didn't give a shit about these things
and never did.  That's how the situation got where it now it.  The
unions, like all of them on such issues, didn't see it as a problem
because it didn't immediately effect their membership.  Accrediting
agencies and other overight bodies do have requirements, but not on
this sort of thing.

ML