It doesn't matter if you do in most colleges.  Tenured professors
constitute such a small voice any way, theri illusions
notwithstanding.  Like any workers, they can usually be persuaded to
vote against their immediate bread-and-butter self-interest, much less
the long-term well-being of the occupation.  This is done pretty much
the same way in all industries.  Management lays down the terms of the
proposal and nobody is really allowed to challenge them.  The union
behaves "responsibly" to prevent any divisive questions.  The
conclusions are foregone.

In short, you have an announced "budget shortfall."  Nobody's really
allowed to probe as to how.  Then you have to start "cutting the fat."
 I've seen this in auto, in the newspaper biz, academe.  And it seems
to be working initially on a national and global level.

In fact, we just heard about major unilateral cuts to pensions and
benefits.  It's not the 1950s.  Much as I like to fantasize about
retiring to the south of France and supplementing my retirement by
editing and writing, I suspect it'll be a trailer on the redneck
riviera and collecting cans on the highway.

ML