And it's undoubtedly true that the Catholic hierarchy did unconscionable things
to cover up abuse of children by clergy when it did occur - just because they
thought it was so awful, as it is.

But Joe is certainly right to direct our attention to the material at
<www.themediareport.com/fast-facts>.

Some independent journalists who have no brief for Catholicism have done
similarly, e.g. <http://freepress.org/columns/display/2/2005/1067>.

The late Cardinal Martini of Milan, who died last month, was categoric on the
matter in his last interview: "...the church has to recognize its own errors
and has to travel a radical journey of change, beginning with the pope and the
bishops. The scandals of pedophilia are driving us to undertake a journey of
conversion..."

And I have a suggestion:
<http://www.counterpunch.org/2002/04/21/sex-and-power-in-catholicism/>. --CGE