Regarding the scene from Apocalypse Now, I believe John Pilger's book "Distant
Voices" relates an attempt to get the writer and director to cough up about the
factual basis for the limb amputations.  As I recall, the reply from the
screenwriter consisted of a series of staccato anti communist statements in
block capitals.