> And one of the enduring myths in Australia is the claim that returning
> veterans
> were spat on in the street. No-one has been able to provide convincing
> examples
> where this happened.

The image of the returning vet being spit on by anti-war protesters is one of
the enduring myths of the Vietnam War. Jerry Lembcke, a sociologist at Holy
Cross and a former activist in Vietnam Veterans Against the War, wrote a book,
The Splitting Image: Myth, Memory, and the Legacy of Vietnam, showing not only
that there wasn't a single documented case of this happening, but that anti-war
demonstrators welcomed veterans into the movement and were inspired by the
protests of VVAW. It was the government that ignored the needs of returning
soldiers, as was vividly portrayed in Born on the Fourth of July (my favorite
Oliver Stone film).

Lembcke's book in still in print:

http://www.amazon.com/Spitting-Image-Memory-Legacy-Vietnam/dp/0814751474/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1347673132&sr=1-1&keywords=jerry+lembcke

As for the NLF, I'm sure they weren't choir boys, but they didn't develop mass
support among South Vietnamese peasant villagers by cutting off the arms of
children. Repeating such a Hollywood myth is repugnant.

Glenn