Two documentaries I received as part of my year-end bounty of screeners meant to help NYFCO members pick winners at our December meeting were focused on artists who are arguably among the most important in the world. “Ai Weiwei: Never Sorry” and “Gerhard Richter Painting” are both now available on Netflix screening and very much worth watching. Around the same time I viewed them, the MOMA show on the birth of abstract art had begun. In my last post on modern art, I tried to get to the bottom of its origins using the analysis of Meyer Schapiro. With Ai WeiWei and Gerhard Richter, you are confronted by the dialectic of art and politics operating in an epoch that might be described as post-modern if not necessarily subscribing to the ideology deployed in its name. In following up on their work, I have learned a great deal about the current state of fine art that is worth sharing with you.

full: http://louisproyect.wordpress.com/2013/04/08/notes-on-modern-art-part-two/