Louis Proyect said:
It has been of real use because I spend at least 2 hours a day pouring through
at least 25 websites aggregating items of interest to Marxists along the lines
of Omnivore on Bookforum or Arts and Letters Daily, for which the late Denis
Dutton received one million dollars from Chronicle of Higher Education. I
consider the service I provide to nearly 1500 subscribers to be on a par with
those websites even though I don't get a red cent for my time. In fact I think
from time to time that it would be a good idea to throw this mailing list
overboard because I understand that well over 30 percent of the subscribers
have "violent fantasies" about me as one of my stalkers put it. That would free
me up to work on writing projects that I barely have time for now, even though
I am retired.

Marxmail is approaching its 15th anniversary the day after tomorrow. I am not
sure how much longer it will last after that. But you can bet that if I pull
the plug on it, nothing will come along that is an improvement. I have seen
fitful attempts to create a Proyect-less Marxism list and they have not gone
very far. When I started this list in 1998, I did it with great reluctance
because I was deeply aware of my own flaws--my sarcasm and my hair-trigger
temper. But despite this, I think that you all are getting some very real
benefits. So let's see what happens...

Ken Hiebert replies:
Even though there are only 1,500 subscribers I expect that certain items get a
broader circulation.  Every once in a while there is an item that i forward to
other lists.

Is the glass 70% full or 30% empty?  If 30% of subscribers have violent
fantasies about you, that leaves about 70% of subscribers who are not having
violent fantasies about you.  I don't know how that compares with other lists,
but I do take some comfort from that.