> On Mon, May 6, 2013 at 1:55 PM, Louis Proyect <l...@panix.com> wrote:
>

> Chibber rightly locates the conditions of possibility for a Marxist
> resurgence in the academy in social movements beyond its walls … He ignores
> the fact, however, that a vibrant U.S. social movement did just take place
> in the form of Occupy—a diffuse movement that drew on the idioms of
> anarchism, liberalism, and certain forms of Marxism. Yet, because this
> movement did not limit itself to “the kinds of things that Marxists used to
> talk about” in the good old days, Chibber doesn’t mention it: it is not
> functional for buoying a rigorously restrictive Marxism.
>
> Shahana Toor / 02 May 2013

Shahana Toor is QUOTING Taylor in this passage, Louis. Here's the entire
post:

*Chibber rightly locates the conditions of possibility for a Marxist
resurgence in the academy in social movements beyond its walls … He ignores
the fact, however, that a vibrant U.S. social movement did just take place
in the form of Occupy—a diffuse movement that drew on the idioms of
anarchism, liberalism, and certain forms of Marxism. Yet, because this
movement did not limit itself to “the kinds of things that Marxists used to
talk about” in the good old days, Chibber doesn’t mention it: it is not
functional for buoying a rigorously restrictive Marxism. * *   * -Chris
Taylor   In his concluding chapter, Chibber does discuss the Arab Spring
and the Occupy movement as reasons for optimism in our times. He points out
how activists in Madison and London were inspired by their counterparts in
the Middle East. And yes, the aspirations in these movements across the
globe were universalistic, economic and political empowerment for the
wretched of the earth, across geographical divide. “A will to criticize,”
Taylor asserts, “makes one a bad reader indeed.” Agreed.

In other words, it's Taylor who's the lazy reader here.