On 3/14/14 11:23 AM, Eli Stephens wrote:
"Svoboda is ultimately unlikely to wield much more influence in Ukraine than
the National Front in France or the British National Party in the U.K"

Really? Didn't we just read this a few paragraphs earlier:

"Svoboda, whose members now head the defense, agriculture, and environment
ministries; party ideological chief Oleksandr Sych is deputy prime minister.
Dmytro Yarosh, the head of Pravy Sektor, is deputy secretary for national
security."

Somehow I don't remember either the NF or BNP having quite the same presence
in government.

A guide to who's-who in the government:

http://www.pslweb.org/liberationnews/news/whos.html

Not everybody has access to Nexis like me. So when I researched the number of anti-Semitic attacks in Ukraine since 2003, I was at a bit of an advantage. (There were two.)

But everybody has access to Google/News. Just check it every few days to see if anything shows up. Actually there was one item from the Daily Beast (ie. Newsweek) that is relevant:

http://www.thedailybeast.com/articles/2014/03/03/who-s-really-behind-ukraine-s-synagogue-attacks.html

World News
03.03.14
Who’s Really Behind Ukraine’s Synagogue Attacks?

Surprisingly, Jewish leaders aren’t blaming the local neo-Nazis.

Ukraine has never been a very good country for the Jews. The 19th and early 20th centuries were marred by pogroms against Jewish communities. Under Soviet occupation, many Jews that stayed in Ukraine faced the state sponsored anti-Semitism of the Communist system. More recently, a few neo-Nazi groups have openly participated in the popular uprising that ousted President Viktor Yanukovych baring at times swastikas.

Nonetheless, leaders of Ukraine’s small Jewish community (experts estimate there are between 80,000 and 350,000 Jews in Ukraine) say they are more worried about anti-Semitic attacks from Russian operatives and Yanukovych loyalists than the nationalists who gathered in Kiev and other cities to oust him.

“In general, in Ukraine there have not been many of these attacks and less than in Western Europe and Europe as a whole,” Joseph Zissels, the president of the Ukrainian Jewish community known as the Vaad, said in a phone interview from Kiev. Zissels added it’s unclear who has been behind these attacks, but he suspects the recent vandalism against synagogues was provocations from Russian or pro-Russian forces who sought to occupy his country.

(clip)