On 2014-03-18, at 12:58 AM, Dayne Goodwin wrote:

> On Mon, Mar 17, 2014 at 12:09 PM, Andrew Pollack <acpolla...@gmail.com> wrote:
> . . .
> The other part of my question is at what point would the contenders decide
> they have more to gain than lose by putting their foot down? What, for
> instance, pushed the two sides over the edge in August 1914?
>
> I don't think current times portend the all-out world war of the first
> half of the 20th century, rather more peripheral battles at the
> geographic edges of empire.  At the imperial decision-making level i
> don't think there is currently a lot of irrationality…

The calculus has also changed at the mass level since 1914.

There was an outbreak of wild chauvinism in all of the imperialist countries at
the onset of the First World War. The generals and politicians on each side did
not, as the conventional wisdom has it, blunder into war. They were all
promising a swift and painless victory, and this cocksure attitude percolated
down to their working classes, compromising and splitting the Second
International in the process.

Today, if there were the serious prospect of escalating military conflict
between the US and Russia, terror would grip the peoples of the world. The
horrific slaughter of both world wars, especially the toll inflicted on
civilians and the destructive effect of nuclear weapons, is embedded in the
collective consciousness of all modern societies. I don't think you would see,
as you saw 100 years ago, men queuing up at the recruiting offices and young
women and others in a carnival mood waving flags and passing out flowers. They
would much more likely be out demonstrating. Massive protests did not stop the
invasion of Iraq by US forces, but the prospect of a showdown between the two
major nuclear powers would be widely perceived as a personal matter of life and
death.

A cautionary note perhaps is that the Cuban missile crisis did not result in
any significant antiwar activity despite the widespread fear of Armageddon. But
that was at the height of the Cold War when a perceived enemy threat on their
borders made Americans more inclined to cross their fingers than to challenge
the Kennedy administation. Since Vietnam and the more recent set of failed
military adventures, Americans have become increasingly reluctant to support
imperialist interventions abroad where they do not feel directly threatened.

In the current situation, the Russians have already indicated they are ready to
negotiate a deal based on Ukrainian neutrality, ie. no NATO membership, and
some form of autonomy for the Russian-speaking eastern provinces. Ukrainian
nationalists may not want to surrender their "sovereignty", but this is not an
issue the American ruling class nor the American people will want to risk
nuclear war over. There is already heavy pressure, as we've seen, from the
corporate lobbies to settle matters quickly, and, as we know, it's impressive
how responsive governments are to pressure from that source.

It's obligatory to make a nod to the law of unintended consequences, but IMO
the odds are very long of it being applied in this case.