On 3/20/14 12:10 PM, Andrew Pollack wrote:

Yes, Zibechi is, as far as I know, not part of the Global Research
lunacy. In fact he's a darling of the horizontalists (I first came
across him while critiquing Marina Sitrin's works. So I think we have
to take at face value his exposure of the right-wingers attempting to
coopt, confuse and disrupt by posing as grassroots movements.

I don't know. I find this very troubling:

The journalist Rafael Poch describes the deployment of forces in the
Maidan square in Kiev: “In the most massive moments there were some
seventy thousand gathered in this city of four million people. Among
them there is a minority of several thousand, perhaps four or five
thousand, equipped with helmets, iron bars, shields and bats to confront
the police. And within these groups there is a hard nucleus of perhaps
one thousand or fifteen hundred individuals who can only be described as
paramilitaries, people who are ready to kill those who represent another
category, or to die. This hard nucleus has made use of firearms”
(Vanguardia, Februry 25, 2014).

This disposition of combat forces on the streets is nothing new.
Throughout history it has been employed by a variety of antagonistic
forces to achieve objectives that are also opposed. What we have seen in
Ukraine is repeated in part in Venezuela where armed groups mingle with
demonstrations in order to overthrow a government, generating situations
of chaos and ungovernability to achieve their goal.

---

I could spend thousands of words to describe the differences between Ukraine and Venezuela but suffice it to say at this point that Venezuela's president is a former bus-driver while Yanukovych was an ex-felon who likely pilfered 15 billion dollars from the nation he was ruling.