I’m not a fan of RT, but this op-ed piece gives a very different perspective
from what we get in the NY Times. On the other hand, I find it entirely
uncritical of Putin and the Russian oligarchs, who also have economic interests
in Ukraine.

http://on.rt.com/jitir2

Intellectuals standing ground on Ukrainian issue

Andre Vltchek is a novelist, filmmaker and investigative journalist. He has
covered wars and conflicts in dozens of countries.

As my plane left Dubai for Kiev, I began browsing through an endless pile of
newspapers and magazines: from the New York Times to the Economist, from the
Times to several Gulf-based and Turkish periodicals, as well as Spanish and
German ones.

The consensus on Putin being a villain was absolute. There were no dissident
voices, but also, not surprisingly, no Russian intellectual voices. There were
absolutely no editorials written by Russians attacking the Western
destabilization of Ukraine and the destruction of its democratically elected
government.

It was also shocking how the Arabic and Turkish press was translating and
reprinting all that appeared in the West.

There were no clear, simple and logical explanations of what actually happened
in Ukraine recently.

That is, that the West, particularly the greedy and desperate EU, wanted to get
its hands on the tremendous natural resources of the Ukraine, on its heavy
industry and cheap but highly-educated work force. They offered a deal. A very
bad deal, under which, European companies would be allowed to plunder the
country, but Ukrainian people would not be even allowed to enter the EU, let
alone seek employment there.

The elected government rejected such farce. The West accelerated its support to
‘the opposition’, which included several clearly gangster forces, full of
ultra-nationalists and Nazis. The legitimate government was overthrown. Crimea
decided to leave such an illegitimate entity. People voted, democratically.
Russia simply accepted the outcome….

continued