On Wed, Sep 24, 2014 at 8:28 PM, Clay Claiborne via Marxism <
marxism@lists.csbs.utah.edu> wrote:

As for the sick things even the best people may be driven to under the
> stresses of continuing combat, shall we talk about US Marines behead
> Vietnamese and then kicking the heads around like soccer balls, and even
> digging up corpses so they can mount their heads on spikes?

Sure, why not talk about it? Are you defending the war crimes of individual
US soldiers in Vietnam, or justifying them?

I imagine not, and there's no need to convince me otherwise, but this reads
very oddly. It's not at all clear what your point is.

I don't know much about the desecration of corpses, but am aware of another
specific war crime, rape, that was epidemic among US troops, but
practically unheard of among the National Liberation Front, among other
reasons, because its leadership made it a priority to prevent it.

With rare exceptions, individual war crimes are not committed in vacuums,
but occur because of policies of impunity and the acquiescence, when not
encouragement, of military commanders.

lytlað."
Send list submissions to: Marxism@lists.csbs.utah.edu