#1 YOU MUST clip all extraneous text when replying to a message.
#2 This mail-list, like most, is publicly & permanently archived.
#3 Subscribe and post under an alias if #2 is a concern.

On Jul 16, 2015, at 8:41 AM, Louis Proyect <l...@panix.com> wrote:

> On 7/16/15 8:20 AM, Marv Gandall via Marxism wrote:
>> Is the suggestion here that all of the peoples in the eurozone are
>> trapped in it because the technical problems of converting to a
>> sovereign currency are intractable, or is there something special
>> about the technological structure of Greek capitalism?
>
> Absolutely not. But all this talk about Tsipras should have come up with a
> "plan B" while he was in these intense negotiations with the eurozone bigs is
> nuts. As I have repeatedly tried to explain, converting to a new currency
> requires a full project life-cycle implementation just as it did moving from
> a drachma to the euro. I have been involved with 5 such massive projects
> during my career so I can guarantee you that it would take Greece or any
> other euro-based nations a full 3 years to effect a change. As Doug pointed
> out, such a declared intention would have consequences of capital drain.
>
> In any case, the challenge is more political than technical at this point.

Well, yes. As, I noted two days ago on this thread: “The problem, Louis, as is
so often the case, is less “technical” than it is political.”

No one disputes that conversion from a stronger currency to a weaker one is
economically wrenching, and inevitably results in capital flight. It has to be
carefully managed by the state. Which is why it is preeminently a political
rather than a technical issue. Your position has hitherto been that conversion
to a new currency is so impossibly daunting that it should be ruled out, no
matter how wretched the status quo - certainly in the case of Greece. You
neglect to answer whether and why this rule would also be applicable to larger
and more complex economies.

But your fears about a Grexit being worse than the status quo seem greatly
exaggerated, especially if an orderly Grexit can be arranged, which is in where
the interests of the Greek people and the NATO powers converge for different
reasons. That option has been on the table since Syriza took power, but its
leadership, like yourself, has feared it as too radical a step and consequently
did nothing to prepare the people and the state administration for that
possibility. In fact, it actively discouraged speculation about a Grexit for
fear of further antagonizing the troika.

As for capital flight, it can take wings anytime where there is a perception
that assets may be threatened by a left wing leadership susceptible to
pressures from its restless base. Don’t take power if you don’t want to
frighten away foreign and domestic capital. It is no more complicated than
that. We know that even though the Syriza government bent over backwards to
assure its creditors and depositors of its unshakeable commitment to the euro,
euros continued to drain out of the country.

In these circumstances, the Tsipras leadership was confronted with the stark
choice of imposing more stringent capital controls, nationalizing the insolvent
Greek banks, issuing a parallel currency, repudiating the debt, and inviting
the US and Europe to negotiate in their own economic and geopolitical interests
on that basis, or…abjectly accepting further cuts to the labour and pension
rights of its followers, a further squeeze on their incomes, and the
de-nationalization of important public assets. You’d have a difficult time
persuading me it made the right choice because the difficulties of a “full
project life cycle implementation” somehow trumped all these other
considerations.