#1 YOU MUST clip all extraneous text when replying to a message.
#2 This mail-list, like most, is publicly & permanently archived.
#3 Subscribe and post under an alias if #2 is a concern.

(Go to the NY Times website to see a slide show on blue-collar art.)

“Poor art for poor people.”

In the 1930s, the painter Arshile Gorky wielded that phrase like a weapon, disparaging what he saw as propagandist figurative art, art that often depicted and ennobled the American worker. And Gorky was far from alone in his scorn, as painting raced toward the purities of Abstract Expressionism. In his essay “Abstract Art Refuses,” Ad Reinhardt listed the numerous noes of his work, which included “no vested interests”; “no art history in America of ashcan-regional-W.P.A.-Pepsi-Cola styles”; and, most certainly, “no involvements.”

But the arrows of history and taste bend in mysterious ways. And with Labor Day at hand, New York finds itself — partly by happenstance, partly by design — in the middle of what might be described, with apologies to Gorky, as a rich moment for art about the working class, whose embattled existence is once again an issue in a presidential campaign. Over the last several weeks, I took myself on a rambling blue-collar art tour of the city, with help from a few curators and historians, visiting labor-themed art I’ve known for years — like the Josep Maria Sert murals at 30 Rockefeller Plaza, where I send visiting family to stand beneath the crotch of the colossus, who seems to be working not in a loincloth but in Fruit of the Looms — and finding dozens of pieces I’d never seen before, some because they’ve been in museum storage for years, or just acquired from private collections.

full: http://www.nytimes.com/2015/09/04/arts/design/where-blue-collar-art-is-having-its-moment.html